TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-12-2006, 09:13 PM   #11
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Womack
The reason for putting the air bags inside of the springs verses the the WDH is with just our family of 6 sags the suspension down.
We added AirLift bags to the rear coil springs of our 2002 Honda Odyssey and they made it a more stable, better-all-round vehicle for both towing and general use -- we also used a WDH when towing. They are fairly inexpensive (about $100.00) if you DIY them. As I recall, air pressure is adjustable between 5 and 30 PSI so you can adjust their lift to fit your load. Your Suburban would seem an excellent candidate for them. Air shocks are another option but they are more expensive and (I've heard) have some reliability issues so you may want to investigate previous owner comments if you decide to go that way.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:42 AM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Frank -

I agree, you have a good suggestion. If needed, use air bags to modify the suspension in general use, and then supplement them with a WDH when you drop the trailer on the hitch.

I should have been crystal clear - my objection was to the idea of using air bags instead of a WDH. We seem to have this discussion about once a year ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:14 PM   #13
BeachDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Frank -

I agree, you have a good suggestion. If needed, use air bags to modify the suspension in general use, and then supplement them with a WDH when you drop the trailer on the hitch.

I should have been crystal clear - my objection was to the idea of using air bags instead of a WDH. We seem to have this discussion about once a year ...

Bill
Question on the air bags... my TV auto inflates the air bags to support the load. So, should I hook up the TM, let the bags adjust, and then hook up the WDH or do the WDH then turn on the car and let the bags level?
Old 09-13-2006, 07:40 PM   #14
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDog
Question on the air bags... my TV auto inflates the air bags to support the load. So, should I hook up the TM, let the bags adjust, and then hook up the WDH or do the WDH then turn on the car and let the bags level?
Hook up the trailer and adjust the WDH first (with ignition off) to handle the trailer loading; then turn on ignition and let the Aztec handle whatever you load inside the Aztec.

In any case, do not try to adjust a WDH while the vehicle is simultaneously trying to adjust its airbags. You're just about guaranteed to wind up with way too much loading on the front tires.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:04 PM   #15
masterge

OK, no suburban, but a 2007 Avalanche. The new Avs are no longer built on a Silverado base, but they now use the Tahoe base. I would never use the bags any way. I want to either use nothing or a WDH.