TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2006, 12:12 PM   #1
Debian Dog

Default rugged cargo carrier

Well as some of you may know I do a lot of dry camping (12,000 miles this year) and I drag my generator along on a cargo carrier hanging of the receiver hitch that was meant for a bike rack.

The poor thing kept getting lower and lower till the point I was scared it was going to start dragging. This, of course, happened 800 miles from the house.

As luck would have it there was a welding/truck shop near by and they hooked me up. The shop drilled out the holes on the bumper to 1/2 inch and replaced the "cheap" 1/4" bolts with "Class A" bolts. That immediately made the cargo shelf look a lot more level. Then they added a small plate to make it perfectly level and even painted it for a mere $40. That was service!

Thanks to Arch-Heli outside Rochester, New York for the great service.

So the moral of this story. If you are going to put more that 100 lbs. on the hitch, upgrade the bolts.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:40 PM   #2
Doug W.

You should never put more than 100 lbs on the rear receiver on the TM. Three problems. First I believe TM says it is only rated at 100 lbs and is only meant to support a bike rack. Second, the TM is inherently anti-sway, because the center of gravity is closer to the tongue than on a normal travel trailer. With that much weight hanging off the back, you are liable to move that center of gravity and have sway problems. Last but not least, you may be overloading your trailer. The TM site says 2720 has a dry weight of about 2742 lbs plus a load capacity of about 1333 lbs. That means the total weight of the TM with everything including the generator needs to be less than 4075 lbs.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:10 AM   #3
Debian Dog

I knew about the weight but that is why I upgraded. NEVER have had an issue with sway and I would argue it travels better with some weight off the tongue but then again I have a bit of sag on the old minivan... That is the next upgrade.

There is probably around 200 pounds total back there when the gas cans are full (including the frame itself)