TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-01-2006, 06:51 PM   #21
sinjin

Oh, and I totally forgot to specifically thank Paul and Rick and Bill for all of your advice. I've been a busy, busy camper (without actually going camping) lately. Before I went back to the dealer I pulled wiring diagrams from the net for both the Activator and the Prodigy and it was obvious to the most casual observer that they were the same. I also called Tekonsha and was assured that there was not anything intrinsically wrong with putting a Prodigy on a BMW.

So bottom line, all's well that ends well.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:00 AM   #22
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Wink 'search' is your friend...

For Prodigy setting hints, search this forum for 'prodigy settings' and you'll see 4 relevant threads (including one created by the Master of this thread, pbuck1... I'd start with that one).

You just said that you don't want travel maps and etc., but google "grand circle tour": that's the trip you're taking, except for Grand Canyon. (Taking UT-12 in both directions is pretty, but are you sure that you don't want to take a glance from the North Rim?)

The worst grade % I see for I-70 in CO is 8%, though most places list the approaches to the tunnel at "only" 7%. The switchbacks of UT-9 into Zion are only 5-6%, not bad at all. 89 and 12 to Bryce are very mellow, but I don't know about 12 East of Bryce.

While you're in Zion, leave the camper behind for a day and go up towards Cedar City: Kolab Canyons is good, Cedar Breaks is spectacular (similar to Bryce, but more 'vertical'). But, I wouldn't take a TM up to Cedar Breaks unless I had too... and the weather that high up can get really nasty, I wouldn't stay there unless I had a good weather report to depend on.

I don't know anything about the Eastern parks (Canyonlands, Arches, Capitol Reef.
- - - - - -
BTW, concerning 'scary' road grades: I just re-checked the % grade on Sonora Pass (in my sig), 'cause it sure didn't feel like a mere 16% the last time I came down from there. (Even in a close-to-the-road sedan.) It's actually 26% !!! And I read on this page, http://www.cahighways.org/105-112.html#108 that Caltrans had once proposed to dig a 7-mile tunnel so that they could turn the entire road into a 4-lane freeway. Now that's bizarre.

We may be going UP #108 from Bridgeport to Dardanelle, but I think we'll come back DOWN on something easy like CA-4, CA-88, or US-120).
Old 05-02-2006, 11:37 AM   #23
PopBeavers

I have been over Sonora pass many times. Years ago I drove a jeep home from Bridgeport via Sonora pass. The rear end was fried so we removed the axles and drove the jeep home on front wheel drive. This was an old WWII jeep that allowed you to remove the axles without even using a jack.

I knew the road well. There is a particular near 180 degree right hand turn on a nearly flat section, with a slight uphill grade. Immediately after the sharp turn is a steep section for about 30 yards.

I kept my speed up as high as I could, tires squealing around the turn. I don't think anyone could have kept up more speed than I did.

When I hit the steep part, the jeep stopped. The front wheels were turning, but there was no forward motion. I was contemplating backing down the hill and trying again in reverse low range to get some weight on the drive wheels when one of our groups other jeeps, towing a utility trailer no less, gently pushed me over the steep section.

I once saw a class C eastbound have to give up and back down about 100 yards from the summit.