TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2006, 03:14 PM   #1
coyotejoe

Question What to do about sag

I am using a highly modified 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 (factory Class IV 5000# hitch) as my tow rig for a 3124KB, and it drops the rear of my Jeep very badly, even with heavy duty off-road springs and shocks. The TM is dry.

What can I do to help lift the rear without sacrificing ride quality and without breaking the bank? I prefer to leave my shocks and springs as they are. Is there another way to cure this?

TIA!
Old 04-24-2006, 03:19 PM   #2
2bcs1jrt

search under weight distribution hitch or WDH. Lots of stuff there
Cheri
Old 04-24-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
pbuck1

A WDH is definitely the way to go.
First go to this thread and read the attachments to learn all about them:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2616

Paul
Old 04-25-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
CAmark
Site Sponsor

Default WDH basics and Public Scales

Coyote, try this location as well for a good discussion on weight distribution hitches from RockyMt Ray.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2922

Also, search up "CAT Scales" for a locator website that will show you where you can weigh each axle (front, rear, and trailer) as you tweak the weight distribution hitch configuration. Cost for weighing at the public scale was $8.50 in CA with $1.00 for re-weighs after making hitch adjustments.

Mark
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:09 PM   #5
Debian Dog

Has anyone actually tried this thing?

http://hell-ya.com/

Edit: Oh, never mind, I see it is a "temporary solution"
Old 04-25-2006, 02:20 PM   #6
rpcoombs
Site Sponsor

I know I'm throwing fat in the fire when I say you may want to consider installing air bags for the rear axle (search "air bags" to see previous somewhat heated discussions regarding their pros/cons)! They work fine for me with my 2001 Ford F-150 Lightning pickup and TM2720SL but that may be just because the pickup is relatively light in the rear to start with.

P.S. My old English 101 high school teacher would twirl in her grave if she saw that sentence structure!! ("Never use a preposition to end a sentance with!")

Just a provocative thought. I'll "standby for heavy rolls" as they used to say in the Navy.
rpcoombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 03:08 PM   #7
sir1doc

WDH is the only way. Without it, I wouldn't even consider towing ours to the end of my road. My rear bumper would scrape pulling out of the driveway, but with my WDH, I am nice and level.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:40 PM   #8
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Air bags can be a useful addition when used "with" (but not in place of) a WDH. Some vehicles, such as minivans, are lightly sprung in the rear and air bags can stop them from wallowing even when not towing. I don't disagree with the statement that some pickups can get by with just air bags assuming they do not have a cap or are not otherwise heavily loaded in the back. IMO all vehicles will handle better with near equal weight on their front and rear axles and most pickups are much heavier on the front axle when not carrying a load. That's why we see so many with sand bags in the bed during the winter months.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 10:16 PM   #9
Donde1

I looked at air bags for my 2004 GMC 1/2 ton crew cab. I opted instead for a spring made by, if I remember the spelling, TEMKIN. It's like an oversized jounce on steroids. You remove stock jounce, replace with TEMKIN. You ride on your stock suspension until under a load, then the TEMKIN spring (bolted to the frame) makes contact with the axle increasing your load capacity. My truck is level under load, I don't have to adjust air pressure, don't have to worry about air bags leaking down, cost around $150.00, easy DIYS install.