TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2006, 12:39 PM   #11
pbuck1

RG6 is definitely better since it is lower (signal) loss cable. If your cable run is not too long , then RG59 (75ohm) cable will be OK, too. You don't want to use RG58 (50ohm) cable. Actually, even with longer runs of both types of cable, the only time you would ever notice the diifference is during a heavy rainstorm when the attenuation (signal loss) due to the rain adds to the cable loss - the picture will last a little longer with RG6 before it is pixellates and/or disappears.

It is actually now almost easier to find RG6 than RG59 cable since the former has become so popular in the home construction industry - and there is not much difference in the price.

Bottom line (IMHO) is that if you already have a 25ft or 50ft run of RG59 then I wouldn't bother buying RG6. If you have neither, then go for RG6.

Hope this helps

Paul
Old 04-17-2006, 01:14 PM   #12
Bill & Lisa

Thanks, I have about 60 ft of the regular RG-59 (I think I messed up the number the first time) so wasn't too keen on buying RG-6 but it wouldn't be the first unexpected purchase associated with our new hobby!

Bill
Old 04-17-2006, 06:27 PM   #13
Doug W.

I am an old radio tech. I think you mean RG-6 instead of RG-59. RG-8 matches up with RG-58 as I remember. It has been about 10 years since I did any radio work though, so I may have that backwards. The first two are 75 Ohm and the later two are 50 Ohm. The RG-6 and RG-8 have less loss that the other two. For short runs, I would not worry about it. By short I am saying 25 feet or less. From 25 to 50 feet should also be okay also. Longer than 50 feet, I use to always used RG-6 or RG-8 depending on what I was doing. The truth be know, if you using 100 feet of RG-59 and get good signal level at the receiver and a clear picture, then I would not worry about. Also weight is an issue. Both RG-6 and RG-8 are larger and therefore weigh more than the same length of RG-58 or RG-59.