TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2006, 10:21 PM   #11
pbuck1

utahsue,

Yes, good point - you're absolutely right - if you're loaded down, the increased weight will improve the ride despite the higher tire pressure required to support it.

Actually weighing your trailer as you say will help you choose the correct tire pressures (from the tire loading tables) rather than basing them on load estimates. Weighing the trailer only but with it hooked up to the tow vehicle and with any WDH set will yield the most accurate results since the load transfers will all be accounted for.

Paul
Old 01-07-2006, 08:04 AM   #12
utahsue

Default Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnavar
P.S. My tires look low at 50 psi.. Looks much better at 60-65 psi where they are supposed to be.
Just to clarify, nobody is suggesting that those people who own a larger trailer that comes with the large axle and tires as standard equipment should deflate their tires for a smoother ride - that would be dangerous.

We are talking about a rare situation such as mine, when I have a smaller trailer (2720SD) with an axle and tires intended for a larger rig.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:26 PM   #13
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default My conclusions (from Goodyear Info)

Goodyear's table, http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rv_inflation.pdf
includes pressures as low as 15 PSI for the tire in question (the ST225/75R15).

They recommend tuning the tire pressure to the max load
e.g., 65 PSI allows a max load of 2540, 50 PSI allows a max load of 2150. But I was surprised to see that that they happily recommend even less pressure when the max load will be less:

45 PSI allows a max load of 2020 lbs
40 PSI allows a max load of 1880 lbs (a close match for the ST215/75R14 load of 1870 lbs at 50 PSI).
.... and the table goes all the way down to 15 PSI !!!

So I concluded that I would be able to 'soften' the tire ride by simply reducing pressure when my 2619 isn't loaded heavily... but, by ordering with the heavy axle and bigger tires, I will have 'headroom' for extra weight which the standard 2619 wouldn't handle very well.

I plan to put on Solar (and not just the panels, but the additional batteries weigh A LOT). Also, our doggy kinda fills up the back of the 4Runner, so we'll need to pack the Trailer pretty aggressively. If the weather holds up, we should be getting it at the end of next week. So the special order 2619 with the 5K axle & 15" tires needed a total of only 6 weeks, including delivery to California. I don't think they needed to add a lot of extra time for this feature... but it might be a slow time of year, maybe they wouldn't get it done as quickly in the Summer.