TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2006, 07:58 AM   #61
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I haven't used Front Wheel Drive (FWD) for towing, but it is apparent that if you do so, it is even more important to have (and properly adjust) a weight-distributing hitch. When you plunk a bunch of weight down on the rear bumper - or actually, several inches behind the bumper - the effect is that the front wheels start to rise off the ground. It's like a see-saw. Down on one end means up on the other.

A properly-adjusted weight distributing hitch (WDH) compensates for this effect, by actually moving some of the added weight to the front wheels.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 06:46 PM   #62
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Honda Odyssey....FWD

I had an Odyssey and pulled a 2720SL. Really nice minivan, but not a good tow vehicle. In Hot Springs, AK, we were sent to a riverside site. Upon departure we had to climb a steep hill which had some sand and gravel on a surface of macadam. The Ody juuuust managed to make it - first gear, high rpm and spinning drive wheels now and then. Very nerve-racking. The WDH was properly cinched.

During a February trip to the southland, we ran into a snowstorms in IL, both going and returning. That was bad. If one comes to a stop on a snow covered surface, on even a moderate incline, forget trying to get the FWD vehicle AND trailer moving again.

I traded my Odyssey for a Toyota 4Runner. Even though its HP and max torque values were lower than that of the Ody, we never worried again about keeping the rig moving under adverse conditions. On demand 4WD made all the difference in the world.

IMHO, of course!

Denny_A