TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-02-2004, 07:09 PM   #31
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Default Re:tow vehicle

Yes but 4th is 2800 rpm at 70 mph vs 2000 in 5th and 3800 in 3rd. Some people are towing in 3rd and getting 12 mpg while I'm getting 17.6 towing in "D" (like the owners manual recommends) and letting the hyperactive tranny do it's thing. Running at 2800 rpm should give about 15 mpg and be a lot less strain on the hardware. Rumor is that the 05's will have that.

The new 4Runner V8 looks good although it is about 10" shorter in both wheelbase and total length than the Odyssey with similar weight and apparently delivers about 20% less fuel economy. The Sequoia has similar length dimensions as the Ody but is 800 lbs heavier than the 4R & Ody with the same motor as the 4R. These decisions are not easy are they? I have the 7-100 Honda warranty and am having "0" problems towing our 2619 so maybe I should just relax and let Honda fix the Ody if it breaks.

Frank
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 06:14 PM   #32
Todd Perry

Default 3023 Quality Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc6588
I have a 2004 3023 and tow with a 2000 Nissan Pathfinder which has the same engine (3.3 liter, 170 hp, 200 ft-lbs of torque). The dry weight of 3023 is listed as 2915 lbs with a tongue weight of 409 lbs. With the options, 23 gallons of water, and the other stuff I have in my 3023, I still don't think my 3023 ever approach 4000lbs.

I don't have a WD hit (as matter of fact, my dealer told me the WD would be unnecessary), but my Pathfinder seems to do a very nice job on level roads. At first, I've gone over 75 miles per hour and then thought to myself that I am towing so I go a little slower now. I don't know if I should leave the Pathfinder off the Overdrive option. I have left it on and off and I get more uncomfortable seeing it constantly over 3.0 on the tachometer with the OD off.

I see one gentleman on this site that uses the Pathfinder to tow a 3326 (Chris Bauer of Mexico).

I haven't tried the mountains yet, but on level roads even without the WD, I think my Pathfinder does fine. I suspect that the mountain will put a tremendous amount of strain on the Pathfinder. I am concerned long term and sometimes wish that I would have traded in my Pathfinder for a Nissan Titan and gotten a less expensive RV (like the Jayco Lightweights) with all the quality problems I've experienced with my 2004 3023. However, I must say that towing is one of the positives of the TM so far. I've taken several 100 mile trips thus far.
Having settled on purchasing a used or new 3023 in the next 6 mos, I was cruising the Towing section of this awesome site with pretty much the same questions/assumptions you have (i.e. which Nissan or Toyota V6 should I buy). Having not read the rest of the site, I saw your statement about 3023 "quality problems." Can you be more specific? Thanks.