TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2005, 03:09 PM   #1
grampa

Default Towing with Diesel truck

Has anyone towed a TM with a diesel truck? What is your fuel mileage? Under what conditions (speed, level highway, hills, mountains, what model truck and TM do you have) did you obtain those fuel mileage figures? I'm thinking about selling my 98 toyota tacoma and buying a used Ford or Dodge diesel. I can't seem to find any reliable mileage fugures for the diesels. Friend of mine has a 92 Dodge. He claims 22-24 mpg in everyday driving, and 16 when pulling his 36 ft. 10,000lb Coachman. Any figures you may have will help. Thanks, Grampa
Old 09-27-2005, 03:35 PM   #2
Windbreaker

I pulled a 2720 loaded 1600 miles and averaged 16mpg through mostly mountains the truck had less than 5000 miles on it at the time. F250 '05. It still has less than 10K and pulls 10K @ 11.5 mpg. In reading these figures you have to understand that I still have 40K or so miles before most folks will consider the truck broken in. I have many friends that pull with the F250 and get 16 to14 mpg with 10K+ rigs behind them. No load fresh off the lot Highway 20 mpg @80 mph.

I will most likely never go back to gas. Once you have experienced the sheer power under your controll, you are sold. I selected Ford over the other two just because of the much quiter and smoother ride. That and they sure got some fancy extras with the Lariat model.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:47 PM   #3
Dixielou

Windbreaker,

Did you get the Ford F250 diesel primarely to pull your 2720 TM, or did you need a diesel for other purposes?
Old 09-27-2005, 09:38 PM   #4
Windbreaker

My and DW's knees were giving out and we needed something without the climb into bed and the deep knee bends to get to the refer. We got it to pull a much more upright trailer. 12 &1/2 feet tall.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:16 AM   #5
grampa

Windbreaker and Dixielou,

Thanks folks, for the replies. The info helps. Grampa