TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2005, 08:21 PM   #1
southernexposure

Red face Volvo XC90 2003 T6 AWD

I am in the process of purchasing and 2005 TM 3023. I want to ensure my VOLVO SUV can handle the job. Does anyone have any experience with one. We live in Las Cruces, NM and will be going into Colorado, California, and mountain areas of New Mexico.

Appreciate any advice, etc
Old 03-16-2005, 07:14 AM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Engine/Transmission longevity may be an issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernexposure
I am in the process of purchasing and 2005 TM 3023. I want to ensure my VOLVO SUV can handle the job. Does anyone have any experience with one. We live in Las Cruces, NM and will be going into Colorado, California, and mountain areas of New Mexico.

Appreciate any advice, etc
As someone who tows almost exclusively over Colorado's high mountains, I'll toss out my thoughts. Haven't seen anyone report using a Volvo XC90 to tow a TM though one may be lurking.

After a close review of the engine torque numbers, driveline numbers, wheelbase, and "tow rating", my overall impression is a TM 3023 will be very close to the maximum in both weight and length this vehicle was designed to tow. The 3023, because of its high GVWR and large interior, can be readily loaded to weigh as much as 5000 lbs.

Strength wise, the XC90 should be able to handle a 3023's weight (barely) and it does have just enough wheelbase to control one.

Although the XC90 has a 3.69 axle ratio (good), the specs I found show a final driveline ratio of 2.92 (not good)...apparently the top 1 or 2 gears in the transmission are overdrive. If the OD feature of the transmission can be switched off, the engine's torque (280 ft-lbs) is adequate...just adequate...for towing a heavy 3023 in Colorado. If the OD feature of the transmission can't be turned off, then a final driveline ratio of 2.92 means a lot of transmission wear and tear on nearly every grade.

A normally aspirated 2.9 liter engine would be waaay too small for towing. But the twin turbos do enable a lot more torque and, because they're turbos and not a regular supercharger, they have ECU adjustable wastegates that could hold sea level power to a fairly high altitude (possibly up to around 10,000 feet). So, at least theoretically, this engine should do quite well even at high altitude...perhaps even better than a much larger but normally aspirated one. However, it is going to be working very hard on a very sustained basis in mountain towing...and that means a substantially increased likelihood of some kind of expensive failure.

So, bottom line, it appears that your XC90 will be able to successfully tow even a loaded 3023. But you will be taxing it to its limits, particularly in Colorado mountain towing, and that could (repeat could) lead to substantially shortened life of various engine parts (especially the turbos) and/or the transmission. If you don't have one, I suggest buying an extended service contract (100,000 mile or more) that covers everything in the drivetrain.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 01:11 PM   #3
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

I saw your post soon after it came up last night and almost responded that the TrailerLife towing guide says you are OK. I decided to wait in case Ray did one of his well-researched and factual replies. I'm glad I waited. Assuming you haven't towed before I will add that getting a maxed-out rig down a mountain can be as big a concern as getting it up. You'll want to start down at low speed and in a low gear while using your brakes for short periods to keep it that way. Overheated brakes can become essentially useless and things get interesting once that happens. Also, many automatic transmissions will not downshift above a set speed to avoid transmission damage so you'll want to make your adjustments early.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 03:59 AM   #4
southernexposure

Default Volvo XC90

Thanks Ray, I appreciate the great technical input. If I read this correctly, it is all about a function of weight management. I was originally considering the 2720SL but considered that too small. Normally, it would be two adults and on occassions a teenager(adult). There is only approx 100lbs difference between the 2720 and the 3023. As I see it, I have to ensure I have proper connection relative to load equalization and secondly do not overload. For example, do not load all the water if you know you have go up/down a mountain when you can get water when you get there. Carry minimum.

I do have overdrive, but can switch to manual and shifting.

Thanks for the input
Old 03-17-2005, 06:23 AM   #5
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Yep...weight management is the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernexposure
Thanks Ray, I appreciate the great technical input.
Welcome.
Quote:
If I read this correctly, it is all about a function of weight management. I was originally considering the 2720SL but considered that too small. Normally, it would be two adults and on occassions a teenager(adult). There is only approx 100lbs difference between the 2720 and the 3023.
Actually two differences...

First, the 2720SL being 3 feet shorter will be easier to control with your Volvo's 112 inch Wheelbase. That's not to say that a 3023 is too long but you'll have a greater margin of steering control in high winds and steeply descending hairpin turns (where the trailer tends to oversteer the tow vehicle).

2nd, although the 3023 has only a 100 lb greater empty weight, it has a lot more storage volume and thus will tend to be more heavily loaded. "Stuff" has a way of expanding to fill the volume of storage available. That's going to be the big challenge for weight management.

Quote:
As I see it, I have to ensure I have proper connection relative to load equalization and secondly do not overload. For example, do not load all the water if you know you have go up/down a mountain when you can get water when you get there. Carry minimum.
Exactly. Use of a Weight Distributing Hitch (with at least 750 lb spring bars) will be mandatory.

Water is very heavy stuff...carry only the minimum you need and go with an empty (or almost empty) fresh water tank if water will be available at the camping location. And drain the grey water tank at the campground dump or at the closest dump after leaving the campground. The grey water tank not only holds 28 gallons (a whopping 224 lbs!) but the weight is behind the TM's axle where it can contribute to sway and evil handling.

I even drain my water heater before heading home from camping...6 gallons doesn't sound like much but that's 48 lbs...and 48 lbs does make a difference when steep mountain grades are along the route. Plus, with an empty hot water tank, the heater's anode rod is not being sacrificed during storage.
Quote:
I do have overdrive, but can switch to manual and shifting.
Glad to hear this. Definitely turn OD off on climbs and descents and any other situation where the torque converter clutch is frequently unlocking.

I heartily endorse Frank's caution about the need to use engine braking (transmission with OD off or in a lower gear) as the primary means of controlling descent speed on mountain grades. The wheel brakes should be used only intermittantly so they have time to cool between uses...the saying here in Colorado is "hot brakes kill".

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 06:43 PM   #6
Freedom

One other consideration, if your rig has a "Tow" button, use it! The tow button will keep your torque converter from locking and unlocking repetedly and will also make your transmission run cooler. I don't know if Volvo has a tow button, but on my Jimmy it also changes the shift points to make them more compatible with towing.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:20 AM   #7
nkyguy

Just an FYI, your rating is 5000# by Volvo.

A neighbor of mine has a 3326 that he tows with a 04 XC90 T6 AWD. His only complaint is the drop in fuel economy when he's towing, around 14 to 15 MPG at 60 to 65 MPH.