TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2003, 05:02 AM   #1
mamabear

Default 2004 chevy 1500 LS

HI everyone we just purchased a new 2004 victory red chevy ext. cab 4x4 with towing package( of course). The truck has the turn signal mirrors on it that should help out on the interstate ( just in case other turn signals don't work on trailer. It even has all the hook ups for the brakes ( just need to buy the prodigy for inside the truck.) It has the larger V8 in it too. Now we just have to wait till spring so we can go camping. My family is planning vacation right now for 2 weeks in our trailmanor this summer. Does anybody else out there pull with a new chevy? H ave you had any problems with the truck?

EVERYONE HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY NEW YEAR,
Mamabear
Old 12-30-2003, 08:07 AM   #2
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Default Re:2004 chevy 1500 LS

Great choice! I am sure that you will be very happy with the new truck. I sure love my new Tahoe, even though I have had it since July. I turned over 2K miles this week.

The only tip is to check the fuse box under the hood for the 12v fuse that will "power" your plug at the bumper. Take a look at this and it should help you figure it out... http://community.webshots.com/photo/...88895873yHFPyV

Other than that, I am sure it will make a very nice TV for you.

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 08:10 AM   #3
Windbreaker

When I first started pulling with my Chevy it was new, in '02. Crew cab, 4x4, 1500hd, with capper added. Do not use WDH or sway control. Love it!! cannot tell the TM is back there except when going down very steep hills, have to take it down to 2nd gear to lessen wear on the brakes. I'm sure you will love yours as much as we do ours.

Did you get the bun warmers? I got to use ours for the first time this year. Sure made that eary morning drive nice.

I have noticed that with the larger motor you have to change oil a little more often. The Chevy place said not but I can see the quality of the oil and have it changed anyway. The guy at the quik oil place, friend, agrees that most of the larger motors need oil changes more often than what Chevy suggest.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:26 PM   #4
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

[quote author=Civil_War_Buff link=board=20;threadid=1592;start=msg11216#msg1121 6 date=1072796846]
The only tip is to check the fuse box under the hood for the 12v fuse that will "power" your plug at the bumper. Take a look at this and it should help you figure it out... http://community.webshots.com/photo/...88895873yHFPyV
[/quote]

I'll echo Larry on needing the fuse if you want to push 12v power to the TM while on the road -- wish his link was on this board when I was trying to find out why there was no juice and I had the tow package. On the flip side, remember that unless you have a battery isolator installed (there is a topic on this somewhere on this board) when you are stopped you could drain your Tow Vehicle battery if you have your refer set to 12v and have installed the jcase fuse. If you need a wire harness for your brake controller be aware that the 2003 and later connector has a different wiring configuration than earlier years even though the connectors are the same.

Best wishes for the new year,

Kevin
kdrickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 10:08 PM   #5
texastraveler

I have a 2003 Silverado with towing package and brake controller previously used on an older travel trailer. When you say that the wiring has changed on the 2003 and later, are you referring to the pickup or the Trailmanor? I just ordered a 2004 3023 and will pick it up next week. Will I have to change my trailer plug before I pick it up?
Old 06-06-2004, 09:10 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I believe he is referring to the wiring for the brake controller connector (under the dashboard), so you should be OK. The wiring for the 7-pin Bargman connector, where you plug your trailer (any trailer) into your tow vehicle (any tow vehicle) is standardized, and has never changed to the best of my knowledge.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 04:16 AM   #7
BobRederick

This is a late reply, but I think pertinent. I pull my TM with a 2002 GMC Envoy. My TM battery went dead on the first 3 trips before I finally found a nut missing on the strap from the fuse to a wire going to the TM in the truck. It is located right next to the fuse box only about 3 inches from the fuse.

I am very happy with the way my six cyl 250 HP Envoy pulls the TM 3326 King.

Other people have found the fuse to the camper missing on GM products. So check it out to save some frustration.

The wiring of the truck is super. You will find a pigtail wire along the side of the truck by your left knee. This can be pulled out by one experienced in finding such things. Then you need to wire your connector to the Prodigy controller. BTW, that is an excellent controller and I love mine. Good choice and worth the money any day.

Bob
Old 01-28-2005, 05:52 PM   #8
caremd99

We also bought a 2004 1500 LS CC. After 3 years towing with our Odyssey my wife decided she just doesn't want to have to watch the weight anymore. The babies are now little girls and they want to take bicycles so we have pushed beyond what we were comfortable towing in the Odyssey.

I don't understand why we should NOT use a WDH?
Old 04-18-2005, 07:44 PM   #9
caremd99

We just came back from a trip to Williamsburg VA. The new truck towed nice and we averaged more than 15 mpg over 500 miles.