TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2005, 01:45 PM   #1
4ofusOates

Default TM 2720 Towing with a 2002 Ford Explorer sohc V6 with Class III hitch

Anyone towing the 2720 with a 2002 Ford Explorer sohcV6 with the class III hitch? We are purchasing a used 2002 TM and the forsaid vehicle is what we are towing with. Is this adequate and what extras should we be adding to make this safe. I am reading some scary roll over stories out there with TM's!!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:16 PM   #2
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Check this link.....

from the TrailManor website:

http://www.trailmanor.com/WebDocs/Ca...hModels=Go+%3E

2002 Ford Explorer listed towing capacities.

Denny_A
Old 04-10-2005, 02:38 PM   #3
4ofusOates

Thanks Denny, I saw that on the site and that does help a bit. Hopefully TM owners who tow with what we are going to use can give us some insite on their experiences..good or bad.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:32 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

WHERE do you plan to tow? That is the often-ignored core of the question.

I tow a 2720SL with a 2002 Ford Explorer with the (rather small) V-8. It is more than adequate on the plains, not bad in Appalachians. But it is barely adequate at the high altitudes and steep grades of the high Sierras and the Rockies. The climb over Loveland and Vail Passes eastbound on I-70 just west of Denver was not a lot of fun - even though I didn't really do Loveland Pass (12,000 ft) but bypassed it through the Eisenhower Tunnel (only 11,000 ft!) If you don't plan to do these areas, then you are fine.

You didn't mention whether your vehicle has the factory installed towing package. If so, it probably has a high-numerical-ratio rear end, probably 3.73, which is good. A lower ratio will make things a bit harder overall. The 5-speed overdrive automatic is also nice - do you have that?

Aside from the engine question, the 02 Explorer is a great vehicle for the TM. Plenty of stopping power, adequate wheelbase to provide good directional control, good storage, reliable, comfortable.

The table that Denny referenced shows that the V-6 version has about 1000 pounds less towing capacity than the V-8. If you get into mountains at all, you will want to be sure to pack as lightly as is practical for you, and probably run with tanks empty. Will there be jsut two of you in the car?

Feel free to PM me for specific info or questions. And you might want to review my response to essentially the same question 18 months ago in
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=1477

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:01 PM   #5
4ofusOates

Yes Bill, I do have the tow package with the class III/IV hitch. Axle is 3.73.

We live in So Cali. We would like to go to the Sequoia's and the Sierra's Our kids love the beach so probably some beach camping at times. We love the mountians though. I just am not sure of what roads are not safe or not.

Thanks
Old 04-11-2005, 02:28 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

On re-reading my post, I can see that I wasn't clear. Sorry. Let me try again.

SAFETY: All roads are safe with your proposed rig. Your Explorer will have adequate steering, braking, directional control, and so forth, and the TM itself is VERY resistant to sway. Be sure you use a weight-distributing hitch, but I don't think you will have any problems in the "safe road" arena. However, as you climb steep grades at high altitudes, you will do so quite slowly (30 mph), and your Explorer (engine and transmission) will be working quite hard. That is to their long-term detriment, of course.

RockyMtnRay is the expert source of info on towing in general, so I will defer to him if he would like to add or disagree with anything. But as long as you are prepared for the slow arduous climb to the campgrounds at 9,000 feet, and you pack light, my feeling is that you will be OK.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:43 PM   #7
RCaerobat

Hello,

I am towing a 1992 M23 (same size as the 2720) using a 1999 V6 Explorer. I haven't had my TM very long (only 3 trips so far), but it seems to do fine. I live in the Southeast and haven't tried towing up any mountains yet, but it pulls well and doesn't sway. Hope that helps.

Emory.