TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Feedback to TrailManor
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2004, 08:00 PM   #1
revmrbill

Default 12 volt plug ins on TM's

Today, 07:11 PM
revmrbill
Site Sponsor Join Date: Oct 2003

12 volt plug hook ups by sink and front bed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On our emergency shake down, I found that a regular 12 volt plug, for a fan and a TV and an aircompressor will not fit into either of the outlets, the plugs are too big for the outlet. I managed to get one into the front bed plug, but when I went to pull it out of the socket, it pulled out all of the inside metal tube, also the one by the sink pulled completely out of the paneling. I think not enough width in the paneling to hold the screws.

But regarding the size of the outlet, has anyone else had this problem??

I managed to get a replacement while in Vicksburg a Mobile RV repair truck gave me an old one to try and all my plugs fit that outlet. I did not install it because I am electrically challenged. I guess there is something here I do not understand??

Rev Mr Bill

2004 TM 3023
2003 Suburban
5.3 liter

#2 Today, 08:12 PM
rpcoombs
Site Sponsor Join Date: Jul 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I too have found the 12 volt sockets on the TM to be a VERY TIGHT FIT for almost everything I have tried to plug into them. I have had to resort to grinding most male plugs down in size on a grinding wheel to be able to force them in. The 12 volt sockets are indeed flimsy in construction and a great deal of care is needed not to dislodge them when disconecting fans/tv's/etc. I have no problem inserting/removing fan/tv 12 volt plugs into the TV's sockets so I believe an upgrade in TM's fittings is much needed.

#3 Today, 08:57 PM
revmrbill
Site Sponsor Join Date: Oct 2003

12 volt plugs

Thanks , RP
I am going to send mine and your situation to TM via this forum and see if they will do anything about it,

It should not be necessary for any of us to have to grind down plugs to make them fit.

I have owned four trailers and pop ups and never had this problem with any other 12 volt plugs.

Thanks again

Rev Mr Bill

2004 TM 3023
2003 Suburban
5.3 liter
Old 03-21-2005, 11:56 AM   #2
Harry Womack

Default 12 volt plugs

The 12 volt plugs are very tight. Mine pulled out of the paneling the first time I used it. I bought two 1" long molly bolts and installed them using the screws with the molly bolt. After I installed them I threw the screws away that came with the molly bolts and got two 6-32 x 1" oval head ivory screws to hold the plate on.
Harry
2005 3124KB
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:40 PM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I broke ours too. Now I have a 12V splitter that I keep inserted in the 12V outlet that is part of our tv antenna booster (manufactured by Winegard, I believe). Before I put the splitter into the socket, I squished down the outside wire contact wire on the splitter as much as I could. I don't take it in and out of there, I just leave it in. I plug our 12v appliances in and out of the splitter so the wall-mounted one won't break again.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:06 PM   #4
BobRederick

Mine broke too on the first use of the 12V socket. I have a 110V converter to power my shaver. I took all the sockets off the panel and put a 1/8" piece of wood behind the panel at each screw. I glued and clamped these pieces in place till they were dry. In addition, I put a strip of oak inside there below the connectors and running the full width of the panel to stiffen the whole surface. It feels a lot better now and doesn't give one the "flimsey feeling" that it had before. So far, it works very well, added little weight, and has held up to multiple uses.
Bob Rederick

6/12/06 note. I am editing this post to note that the repair has been successful. We have had it out 5X now and no problems with the wiring panel. It is stiffer and no screws have pulled out.
Bob