TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2022, 10:17 PM   #1
mikegascon1

Default 12V power issue and solar ideas

I am having a very similar issue as another thread on here but I didn't want to jump into their conversation.
I will figure out how to add info to my signature soon. Until then, here is my trailer info.
2007 3124 KB I think. Couch on street side and a comfy chair on the curb side.

The trailer is brand new to me. So, I don't know the history at all. The person that sold it to me showed me most everything while plugged in. It did not occur to me to check while on battery power only. I got it home, 250 miles later and I am thrilled with it. Now time to learn some things.
Most all lights worked on shore power. I assume I have a bulb out here or there. I unplugged shore power and nothing works except the electric jack. I tried, all lights, water pump, even the gauge under the sink and nothing came on. It is now closed so I can go get new tires tomorrow. I will check all fuses tomorrow. Could it be a dead battery? I checked the voltage at 11.1. But the jack works. Slowly, but it did work. It is wired direct to the battery. Wouldn't at least the lights for the water tank light with a low battery?
I did check the breakers and all were on. Other than the fuses next to the breakers, is there anything else to check? Note, I did confirm the switch by the tub was pushed down.
Another note is that I hooked it to my truck and plugged in the 7 pin plug and noted a light at the front, that will be handy for hooking and unhooking in the dark will be handy, was on. That makes me think the trucks 12V system was powering that light.
Where is the converter? I have read of people upgrading theirs.

Subject 2 is also power related. I would really like to go with solar. As of now, I am thinking mounted panels but I keep waffling on that choice. For a person that is new to solar is this a wise choice? https://www.renogy.com/new-400-watt-...r-premium-kit/ I will need to do some measuring to see if the panels will fit on the rear.
I am a tech guy so I want a nice "control center" that I can see how much power I am using, battery level, how much I am getting from solar... I believe that is called the solar controller.
I have not loomed at battery prices yet but I am thinking of 6V golf cart. Can someone share a link to a battery box?

Do any of the experts in here see Amy problems with my choices? Any preference to another brand? I like the kit idea so I don't miss anything. I am not apposed to piecing together a system but I would need a shopping list to do so.

Next question I assume is unique to 3124. What is the box on the rear of the trailer for? Just basic storage? It is just above the bumper, with an outside door. Not accessible from inside. Carpeted. Approx 2.5 ft tall, 2 ft wide and 1.5 ft deep. I do see a couple of wires in a bundle but I don't have any idea what that goes to

Lastly, a simple question. Is there such a thing as a bolt on 2 inch pipe for a receiver for bikes? Or, I guess I can borrow a welder and attach some square pipe.

If I need to break these questions out, I will. I am excited for the weather to improve in the PNW so I can get out there and learn more and eventually actually use it!

Thanks in advance
Mike

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2022, 04:35 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegascon1 View Post
If I need to break these questions out, I will. I am excited for the weather to improve in the PNW so I can get out there and learn more and eventually actually use it!
Mike -

You don't have to break the questions out if that is inconvenient. But it is really helpful if you don't ask the same questions in multiple posts. If you do, the responses will also be split between those multiple posts, and things quickly get confused as multiple possibilities are offered. It also means that there is no single thread where the answers can be found, and people trying to follow the discussion will miss half of it. That may be OK with you as the one who asked, but it is not particularly helpful for other people who are trying to learn from your issues.

Thanks

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 04:48 PM   #3
mikegascon1

I only posted this twice as my first post never appeared. I thought I did something wrong on my end.
It turns out it was because a I added a link.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2022, 09:59 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I understand. No harm no foul.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 07:25 AM   #5
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Here's some ideas concering 12v power.

Quote:
2007 3124 KB I think.
Most all lights worked on shore power. I assume I have a bulb out here or there. I unplugged shore power and nothing works except the electric jack. I tried, all lights, water pump, even the gauge under the sink and nothing came on. It is now closed so I can go get new tires tomorrow. I will check all fuses tomorrow. Could it be a dead battery? I checked the voltage at 11.1. But the jack works. Slowly, but it did work. It is wired direct to the battery. Wouldn't at least the lights for the water tank light with a low battery?
I did check the breakers and all were on. Other than the fuses next to the breakers, is there anything else to check? Note, I did confirm the switch by the tub was pushed down.
Another note is that I hooked it to my truck and plugged in the 7 pin plug and noted a light at the front, that will be handy for hooking and unhooking in the dark will be handy, was on. That makes me think the truck's 12V system was powering that light.
Where is the converter? I have read of people upgrading theirs.
If you checked voltage directly at the battery terminals, they are severely low. Anything below 11.8 Volts (with no load) is almost totally discharged.
You will want to get some new batteries, because "deep cycle" lead-acid batteries should not be taken down below about 40% State-of-Charge. (That's somewhat above 12.2 volts.) A few can be taken as low as 25%, on a regular basis, but they're a somewhat specialized item. (Trojan and Crown make batteries like that.)

When you install the new batteries, you should almost certainly replace the small "30A" glass fuse and fuse holder which TM installed in your model year. One end of that fuse is held against a spring - the spring is a very thin wire, and it tends to rust. Buy this one to replace it: https://www.amazon.com/Febrytold-Gau...dp/B08QHKXD5N/

Most of your under-the-tub power unit (the "Load Center") is pretty good (being year 2007, it's a WFCO.) But the converter assembly (the main board and fan) in the bottom did a pretty bad job of charging batteries, basically quitting when the batteries are only about 85% full. (Lead Acid batteries should be kept at virtually 100% charged for as much of their lives as possible - but without overcharging). At very high cost ($250) this customized, USA-built converter section does a nearly perfect job for lead-acid batteries: https://www.bestconverter.com/PD-465...te-_p_677.html. Lesser but adequate converter section upgrades can be purchased for $50 to $70 less.

(The WildKat is perfect for lead-acid or AGM batteries. GEL can be treated as AGM with nearly perfect results. It also has a setting for "Lithium", which wants to "push" the batteries to 100% all the time. That's actually a bad idea. I have Lithium, and get much better results from the AGM setting, although they're generally only about 93% filled during storage. Although Lead-Acid batteries WANT to be 100% charged all the time, it's bad to store Lithiums that way.)
- - -
When you have the Tow Vehicle ("TV") plugged in, it does provide a limited amount of power to the WFCO power directly tho the load center. This is a somewhat limited, because the wire path from the engine compartment is very long - and the wires are small. If you drive all day with the fridge turned on 12v electric, your Trailer batteries will get dragged down to about 60% before the long distance wiring path back to the TV alternator becomes "more attractive. Solar would prevent that issue.
Old 03-15-2022, 07:56 AM   #6
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Solar (quick comments only, PLease add new "Thread" in the "Solar Power" area)

Quote:
Subject 2 is also power related. I would really like to go with solar. As of now, I am thinking mounted panels but I keep waffling on that choice. For a person that is new to solar is this a wise choice? https://www.renogy.com/new-400-watt-...r-premium-kit/ I will need to do some measuring to see if the panels will fit on the rear.
I am a tech guy so I want a nice "control center" that I can see how much power I am using, battery level, how much I am getting from solar... I believe that is called the solar controller.
TMO has an entire forum area dedicated to Solar Power installations. The Renogy panels are decent, and (being heavy glass) they are much more durable than flexible panels. They will affect lifting of the shell(s) on which they are mounted, you will need to adjust the torsion bars to make up for the added weight.

The Renogy "Rover" is difficult to program, and the Bluetooth App gets various complaints. Victron Energy has the best monitor products (and also make great MPPT controllers), but they're premium priced. I would avoid the kit, because it includes the "Rover" MPPT. It also includes TWO sets of provided wire lengths, which might not fit correctly. Please re-ask in the Solar forum, I can assist from your new Thread there (ultimately reaching a shopping list.)

I own a much smaller 2619 (loaded up with more watts than you're looking at) all on the front shell as flexible panels. Flex panels cost much more, and they suffer frequent failures. (I've been lucky). Your thread title can be "New Solar install on a 3124".