TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2019, 10:29 AM   #1
FlyboyTR

Default Water Heater Mod: Remote Electrical Switch

Many campers have electrical elements inside the water heaters. This allows them to heat water without using LP. Many times, companies do not install an inside switch for turning the element ON and OFF. The little switch on the water heater is almost impossible to find (the first time) and almost as hard to get to so that it can be switched on and off. It also requires that you go outside to accomplish this task.

This simple mod basically cuts the hot/black 110VAC wire that runs to the water heater and splices in a new wire that feeds a switch mounted inside the sink cabinet. This allows the water heater electric element to be switched ON or OFF from inside the camper.

The outside connections need to be placed inside an appropriate electrical junction box. This video does not show that. But, I will eventually add this box just for my peace of mind! ...It's a safety thing!

Electricity KILLS. If you are not familiar with electrical wiring PLEASE do not attempt this yourself. Hire an electrician!

https://youtu.be/aO97Qm58rJQ
Old 11-13-2019, 11:54 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

That's a nice project, Travis. It has been done a number of times, with slightly different details. Most folks put the switch on the sink apron, near the switch that turns on the water heater's propane heater. Some folks add a pilot light as a reminder that the heater is ON.

And I went whole hog by adding a relay, so that when you unplug the camper from shore power, the relay drops out. Now if you drain the water heater, and absently plug in shore power again (at the next campground, for example), the water heater won't power on again, saving you from a burned-out element. To turn it on requires pushing a button, mounted on the sink apron. I called this the "Super-Duper Automatic Water Heater Turner-Offer". Details are here on the forum at

https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...php?albumid=74

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:37 AM   #3
FlyboyTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
That's a nice project, Travis. It has been done a number of times, with slightly different details. Most folks put the switch on the sink apron, near the switch that turns on the water heater's propane heater. Some folks add a pilot light as a reminder that the heater is ON.

And I went whole hog by adding a relay, so that when you unplug the camper from shore power, the relay drops out. Now if you drain the water heater, and absently plug in shore power again (at the next campground, for example), the water heater won't power on again, saving you from a burned-out element. To turn it on requires pushing a button, mounted on the sink apron. I called this the "Super-Duper Automatic Water Heater Turner-Offer". Details are here on the forum at

https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...php?albumid=74

Bill
Bill,
Thanks. For many folks adding a relay as you described would be a great thing. I started to mount the switch outside the cabinet next to the 12VDC/LP switch...but went for the easiest method! LOL I do like the idea of a pilot light. I may ad a pilot light switch or a stand alone light. Thanks again!

Travis
Old 11-14-2019, 08:06 AM   #4
ThePair
TrailManor Master

https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...8&postcount=34

My solution. It's a push button switch with a built-in relay so it will only switch on when 120V is available, and when you unplug the TM it automatically switches off and stays off until you push the button again. Makes it very unlikely to burn out the heating element. Ended up being a very easy install as I recall.

The switch on the outside still functions as well, but I leave it "on" all the time now -- except for winterizing.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:51 AM   #5
Shane826
TrailManor Master

^ I remember when this made the rounds. Thought it was pretty slick. I still want to do this mod. As it stands now, I don’t use the electric heater because I KNOW I will leave the switch on. And that’s when bad things happen.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote