TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2004, 11:14 AM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:Adding a Carbon Monoxide Detector

Good point, Mike. As long as there is some way for outside air to get in, to replace the stale moist indoor air that is going out through the roof vent, all should be well. Any small opening would do - it's not as if you are going to have a hurricane blowing through! - and the bathroom vent is both dry in the rain, and safe from prying eyes/fingers.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:08 AM   #12
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

This is an old thread, but an important one. I'm reviving it because most of the links are old.

The only reason we would need a CO detector is if the furnace or catalytic heater is being used, although a faulty stove could fool someone into thinking "I have a headache, I'll go lie down for awhile", then end up lying down for a very long while.

So, now it comes to placement. LP must be installed low because it is heavy compared to air. You want a CO detector at the level where you would be breathing. Yes, CO is about the same density and mixes with air, so in theory it could be mounted anywhere. BUT, due to air currents, sources, etc, you want to make absolutely sure the CO is detected where you are sleeping.

For the above reason, I'm ruling out the combination CO/LP detectors. Besides, the location of the current LP detector might give false CO alarms each time the stove is used. That leaves making sure you have a working LP detector in the kitchen area, and a CO detector in the sleeping area. One of the posts here suggested placing the CO detector in the back bedroom area, in the back of the wardrobe. I like this idea, but what about the front sleeping area? Any good locations? The best option I can think of right now is a combination fire/CO detector in the ceiling, but I'd rather have a CO detector at sleeping level.

Does anyone one have any favourite 12V CO detectors currently?

Favourinte LP detectors?

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is online now   Reply With Quote