TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-25-2011, 07:08 AM   #1
TravlinOn

Default Spare Tire Holder Mod?

I am trying to reorganize what's to be stored in the the back end of my truck while on longer trips. Having had to change flats along side of busy roads, I like to keep the stuff (lug wrench, pneumatic jack, and supports) handy and easily unpacked, but this means that it is in prime storage space.

Question: Has anyone done any mod work on the spare tire holder underneath the TM. Just strapping the lug wrench to the tire itself would be simple enough but the jack and supports might need a little more protection from damage and/or loss. Storage here would be really the most convenient place to have it ready for a flat, yet out of the way for everyday packing and unpacking.

I know, a lot of travelers just put in the battery storage area, but mine is filling up with extra hose lengths, blue tank, etc.

Mods?
Old 02-25-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Mine is handy right at the back of the TV and takes up a very small space.
The "blue tote" is mounted under the TM using part of the spare mounting rack that the 2720 uses.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
gocntry

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
The "blue tote" is mounted under the TM using part of the spare mounting rack that the 2720 uses.
Happen To Have A Picture / Details On That Mod??

EDIT: You Have Your Spare And A Blue Tote In The Rack ? Or Did I Misunderstand ?
Old 02-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

I bought this for my husband and he really loves it. We have a hitch mount on the front of our tow vehicle and this slides right into it and when traveling with the TM we carry the TM spare tire there. He also uses the front hitch mount to push the TM to the backyard and then under the Shelter Logic Canopy.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Carg...rt/c31006.html

We also carry our blue tote in the TM spare tire holder.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Default Front Hitch

We bought the front receiver hitch at Cannon Welding in Jacksonville, Fl. It cost 119.00 and my husband installed it himself in about 20 minutes it came designed to fit our vehicle and with all the bolts etc. Tom says that the front receiver hitch is sold to fit most vehicles in all trailer hitch type stores. He said that you may be able to get one at Uhaul.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:54 AM   #6
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default This is a really great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
We bought the front receiver hitch at Cannon Welding in Jacksonville, Fl. It cost 119.00 and my husband installed it himself in about 20 minutes it came designed to fit our vehicle and with all the bolts etc. Tom says that the front receiver hitch is sold to fit most vehicles in all trailer hitch type stores. He said that you may be able to get one at Uhaul.
Moving the spare also takes another 50# or so from the forward part of the trailer (some of which loads to trailer axle and the rest to the hitch) and shifts it about as far forward as you can go in the tow vehicle. Therefore this is an excellent line of thinking for people trying to reduce hitch and trailer weight weight or the need for a Weight Distributing Hitch.

To take it even further, you could put the tow vehicle spare there too, or maybe the spare battery or generator (you can't beat that for convenience to high amperage charging connections).

A limiting factor is the strength of the mounting structure you have available, and all of this is in harms way in a front end collision, of course. Hopefully it doesn't disrupt air through the radiator enough to matter.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #7
MudDog
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocntry View Post
Happen To Have A Picture / Details On That Mod??

EDIT: You Have Your Spare And A Blue Tote In The Rack ? Or Did I Misunderstand ?
gocntry, I had CustomRV build a tote carrier right behind the spare tire.

If you didn't see it the first time around, pictures are here and here
Prodigy Brake Controller/TST TPMS
15" Maxxis M8008 225/75R15
Honda EU2000i (Tri-Fuel Converted)
160W Solar/Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT
Xantrex Link-Lite & ProWatt SW2000 Inverter

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
MudDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:27 PM   #8
KERVBIZ

I just bought a 1995 3023, in pretty good shape, my spare tire was inside and the owner said it mounted on the rear bumper, but he had too take it off when he lowered it?? What/where is the original mounting location? Thanks!
KERVBIZ is offline   Reply With Quote