TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2004, 01:59 PM   #1
Simon3xUD

Default WD/sway control hitches

Hi all,

Based on the posts I've seen, it would appear that Equal-i-zer WD hitches are preferred over the Reese Strait-Line (w/dual-cam sway control). I'm neither an engineer nor terribly mechanically inclined : so don't understand the differences. The Equal-i-zer seems to be slightly less expensive but I think I read somewhere that the dual-cam of the Reese reduces problems with tight turns/parking etc.

Can anyone enlighten me as to which is better and why? I'd be using it for a 2001 Ram 150 conversion van and a 2004 TM 3023 if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Sally
Old 06-11-2004, 02:24 PM   #2
camperboy

Default Re:WD/sway control hitches

I use a Equalizer with our TM. I am pleased with the performance of the unit. While I
I have a Equalizer between out TM and my Ranger. The weight distributing function works perfect. As for sway, I have not had any either with the Equalizer or just with a straight, plain ball mount. I wouldn't be without it for the WDH feature, however.

I can't offer great insight into which is better since I have not used both, I can say that I like my Equalizer and that it is easier to hook-up than a conventional reese hitch. I worked for a gentleman for years who used a conventional Reese unit. The bars and chains were more difficult to make ready for travel, in my opinion. It was not the dual-cam set-up, however, and he had a seperate friction sway control.

If you go for the Equalizer I'd suggest the 1000# model. I have the 600# and if I were to do it again would go heavier.

I think you'll find that hitch preference is subjective. Hope this helps.

Camperboy
Old 06-12-2004, 08:58 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

When I bought my TM, my dealer had a Reese (aka DrawTite) 12000-pound unit in stock, so that's what I got. The spring bars were equipped for dual cam sway control, but he said I didn't need them, so I didn't get them. The setup has worked wonderfully for me. TMs are virtually sway-proof - I have tried (unintentionally!) on several occasions to induce sway, and it just won't do it. I echo Camperboy here - you don't need sway control. And you should have weight distribution.

I haven't used the Equalizer, so I can't comment, but it seems that everyone who owns one like it.

I will echo Camperboy again. Get plenty of capacity - 600 pounds is too little.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 09:22 AM   #4
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Amplifying Bill's comments here. Sway control systems are not needed for a properly loaded TrailManor. IMO, it's not a good idea to use a sway control mechanism(friction or cam) on a TM because it will mask the symptoms of poor loading. TM engineers have been quoted in the past on this forum as saying the same thing: Don't use sway control with a TM.

TrailManors are inherently sway proof, mainly because the axle(s) are located significantly further behind the Center of Gravity than nearly all other travel trailers. The low profile also contributes to stability, especially in sidewinds. TMs are able to have such rearward axle positioning because of their exceptionally lightweight construction...and by having unusually high hitch weights relative to total trailer weight.

If a TM owner improperly loads too much weight behind the axle(s) (thereby moving the CG rearward), yes, it is possible to have sway with a TrailManor. However, the solution for this sway is not a sway control device on the hitch but rather the transfer of the weight either to the front of the trailer or to the tow vehicle.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote