TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2004, 03:05 PM   #1
dataman20

Default Chrysler Town & Country

We are using a Chrysler Town & Country minivan with the 3800 engine. It had a transmittion cooler on it when we got it, but I added an oil cooler. Towes beautifully at 70 mph! We live in the mountains, so we do have hills to climb and it performs beautifully. We have the '04 2720 SL model.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:00 PM   #2
kidsplayhouse

Default Re:Chrysler Town & Country

It is great to hear something positive about towing with a minivan. We will be towing with one and I was beginning to think we were making a huge mistake after reading the forums here! Does your van have the factory installed towing package?
Old 05-24-2004, 06:58 PM   #3
dataman20

No, the tow package was not installed at the factory. However, when I went to have a trasmittion cooler installed, they showed me where a good, heavy one had been installed at the factory. Mine has the auto leveling air shocks in the rear so that is a great help. The only thing I did extra was to add an oil cooler and and electric break controler. Maybe the oil cooler wasn't really necessary, but just a bit of precaution. The TM towes very easily and except for speed up and slow downs, you don't even know it is behind you!
Old 05-25-2004, 12:03 AM   #4
LandonFamily
Site Sponsor

In the past, our family of 3 used a Windstar w/ a 3.8 for towing. Ford sets a rating of 3500lbs with the factory installed tow package. We found after taking our fully packed TM to the scales that we were just at the limit. So ... out came the third row bench seat and we set limits on our packed items.

The minivan towed fine for several trips to the coast and even a long interstate trip that was generally flat. Our last trip however was to California's gold country which included driving hours on winding mountain roads. It was clear that there was not enough of a safety margin on the minivan.

After reading up on the workmanship of the Windstar (quality was not job #1 on this one), we determined that towing near the limit is like burning a candle on both ends. So we just bought our first SUV - a 2004 Yukon. It has a towing limit well over 7000lbs. Now we can load up and even bring family and friends along to enjoy our TM. We have the peace of mind knowing that we have the right "tool" to get the job done.

Now we're off to Clearlake, CA for the weekend ... Brett
LandonFamily is offline   Reply With Quote