TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-08-2017, 09:57 PM   #1
Philip

Default Fill The Water Tank While TM Is Folded Down

I always found it to be a great aggravation to have to open the TM to fill the water tank. I have the optional 40 gallon tank in my 2008 2720 TM and I never tow with water in the tank. Since I generally have a site without water I had, before my modification, to open the TM at the water supply to fill and then shut it down to go to my site.

Here is what I did to eliminate that problem. My water tank is on the front left side of the TM and the factory fill cap is on the left side. I abandoned the factory fill spot and installed a new fill cap in the left side of the fixed forward wall and ran a fill tube from this cap to the existing fill point on the tank. The new fill cap and tube is below the left front seats so it is out of site on the inside. Since the forward shell covers this fill cap when down I cut a hole in this shell just in front of the new fill cap and installed a round marine deck plate ring which mounts in this hole which is about 5" in diameter. The deck plate cover screws into this ring and seals with an "O" ring. The whole deck plate assembly is white plastic and hardly noticeable. When I want to fill the tank, I just unscrew the deck plate cover and reach through to uncap the new water fill point with the TM still closed up. When finished filling, I screw the deck plate cover back on and proceed to my site. I also installed a deck plate ring and cover on the inside of the new outside deck plate cover to make it neater on the inside. I hardly ever use the inside cover since the outside deck plate cover does not look very bad when exposed in the inside while the TM is open. Also you would have to remember to take the inside cover off prior to folding down the TM so you can get to the new fill cap. However, I discovered that should you forget to remove the inside cover you can get it off from the outside but it is not so easy. The marine deck plates are available at West Marine supply stores.

It is important to buy a good hole saw, fixed diameter - not adjustable to drill the holes in the TM walls and take your time. Careful measuring is required to locate the hole for the deck plate such that it is directly in front of the new fill cap with the TM folded down. A cheap project which takes care to install and saves me a lot of aggravation.

Take care,

Phil

TM - 2008 2720, 15" Wheels, Two 4D Lifeline AGM Batteries, Linklite Battery Monitor, Self Adjusting Brakes.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:02 PM   #2
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Can you post some pictures, please. Interested to see what you did.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:08 PM   #3
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidkraz View Post
Can you post some pictures, please. Interested to see what you did.
Hello,

The TM is now in covered storage and I am unable to open it up right now. I will try to get you some pictures shortly to show what I did on the outside.

Take care,

Phil

TM - 2008 2720, 15" Wheels, Two 4D Lifeline AGM Batteries, Linklite Battery Monitor, Self Adjusting Brakes.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:08 PM   #4
Philip

Default Finally - Photos Of Outside Fill Point

At last I was able to get to the TM and take some photos of the external water fill arrangement. The first two pictures in this post show the external fill point with the cover plate on and off. Since the photo size limit for this form limits me to two photos I have included additional pictures in more posts below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060225.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	4.32 MB
ID:	15046   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060227.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	4.35 MB
ID:	15047  

Old 04-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #5
Philip

Default More Photos Of Fill Point

These Photos are close ups of the opening that allows me to reach in and uncap the new fill point located on the fixed wall behind the front top shell while it is down.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1060228.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	4.51 MB
ID:	15048   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060229.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	4.34 MB
ID:	15050  

Old 04-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #6
Philip

Default More Photos

The first photo shows the side of the outside cover plate that shows on the inside of the TM when it is up. I have actually installed an identical cover plate on the inside of the TM so I can cover this opening up completely on the inside. However I rarely install this cover plate since just the outside cover plate looks quite good.

The second photo is the outside face of the cover plate. I purchased these cover plates from West Marine. I believe they are 5" ID and go by deck plate covers.

I hope this helps. I will try to take some pictures on the inside once I open the TM up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1060230.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	4.61 MB
ID:	15051   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060231.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	4.43 MB
ID:	15052  

Old 04-13-2017, 04:07 PM   #7
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

You need a good funnel, too, and are probably going to get the front inside wall wet anyway. The other approach used by some folks here has been to install an electric pump and outside hose fitting, which is used to lift water from a tank sitting on the ground. This is nice in that you no longer have to hold the tank up.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:55 PM   #8
handjstar

Default Easier way to fill fresh water

I simply put a female garden hose on the fresh water drain. Attach water hose open drain valve and fill tank. Even if it over flows out top vent it is minimal. It will leak some water with full tank anyway going down the road.
handjstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:19 PM   #9
Philip

Default Good Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by handjstar View Post
I simply put a female garden hose on the fresh water drain. Attach water hose open drain valve and fill tank. Even if it over flows out top vent it is minimal. It will leak some water with full tank anyway going down the road.
A good idea. I just never gave it a thought. Wished I did since it would have save me a lot of work. Live and learn!

Phil