TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2016, 01:16 PM   #21
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Nothing mystery, '12 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with DOHC V6 and trailer towing package. Lightest Grand Cherokee made @ 4475 lbs. Chassis is same as a Merc GL 350. No FIAT content. Medium size Suburban Assault Vehicle.

Later ones have an 8 speed transmission and higher towing capacity (mine is 5,000 lbs).

Do not use a WDH mainly because do not want to add any load to the TM axle/tires and have never felt a need.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:16 PM   #22
Gapopper

Great information. I will just have to see how my 08 Tundra pulls a TM when I find and purchase one. I have a rare long bed Tundra. The rear axle almost sits under the tailgate. I have only towed a popup camper with it so far. I have a prodigy brake controller on order.
Gapopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:34 AM   #23
oldstick
TrailManor Master

My feeling is you will probably be fine without it on the Tundra. You probably won't have any sway problems the way the TMs are designed with the wheels pretty far back. And unless you carry heavy loads in the truck plus the trailer, I doubt you will have an unusual amount of sag on the truck.

I have even gotten comfortable with towing it without a WDH on my Tacoma.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:58 AM   #24
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapopper View Post
Great information. I will just have to see how my 08 Tundra pulls a TM when I find and purchase one. I have a rare long bed Tundra. The rear axle almost sits under the tailgate. I have only towed a popup camper with it so far. I have a prodigy brake controller on order.
1/2 ton pick-up like the Tundra should be fine without a WDH.
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:58 PM   #25
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

I passed, and was passed by, a 2720 (2011 or 2012, possibly, from the brown decals) being towed by a dark Toyota 4Runner today, about noon. We were on Hwy 285, SW of Denver, heading in the direction of Denver. In my opinion, a disaster waiting to happen.

Rear of 4Runner was sagging, and TM was running way downhill. Looks like the hitch should have been about 6" higher, for it to tow level. Would be real easy for rain to run in from the back of the front shell, in addition to putting lots more weight on the tongue than should be.

Did not see (I was driving, and paying more attention to traffic) if there was a WDH in use, or not. If so, it was nowhere near adjusted properly. If not, this is a setup that is in dire need of a WDH. Front tires were unweighted, so they would be questionable in sudden braking or avoidance maneuvering. Also, at night, headlights would blind oncoming traffic.

All this to say, look at your setup when you are ready to go. If trailer and TV are not level, then you need a WDH. If your TV is level, but your TM is not, you need to adjust the ball height. We can all offer opinions about what vehicle may, or may not, need a WDH. But, the eye test is the true deciding factor. If it ain't level, something needs adjusted! Be safe.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #26
flipflop

I do without a WDH with a Tacoma, Gen I Tundra, now this 4runner.

You have to stiffen the rear springs on all three to handle the tongue weight. I went with helper springs on the Tundra and tacomas, airbags on the 4runner and Toytec Boss suspension.

I'm in the minority maybe, we offroad with the trailer a lot. Pretty difficult offroading hauling a trailer. Washouts, dips, rocks, trailer twisting left when the truck is twisting right.

I don't like having to swap out the WDH for a straight hitch as soon as we leave the highway. I've found with a good rear suspension the WDH is not needed for a 4000 lb load on the trucks I listed.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:46 PM   #27
flipflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToCamp View Post
I passed, and was passed by, a 2720 (2011 or 2012, possibly, from the brown decals) being towed by a dark Toyota 4Runner today, about noon. We were on Hwy 285, SW of Denver, heading in the direction of Denver. In my opinion, a disaster waiting to happen.

Rear of 4Runner was sagging, and TM was running way downhill. Looks like the hitch should have been about 6" higher, for it to tow level. Would be real easy for rain to run in from the back of the front shell, in addition to putting lots more weight on the tongue than should be.

Did not see (I was driving, and paying more attention to traffic) if there was a WDH in use, or not. If so, it was nowhere near adjusted properly. If not, this is a setup that is in dire need of a WDH. Front tires were unweighted, so they would be questionable in sudden braking or avoidance maneuvering. Also, at night, headlights would blind oncoming traffic.

All this to say, look at your setup when you are ready to go. If trailer and TV are not level, then you need a WDH. If your TV is level, but your TM is not, you need to adjust the ball height. We can all offer opinions about what vehicle may, or may not, need a WDH. But, the eye test is the true deciding factor. If it ain't level, something needs adjusted! Be safe.
Yes, strive to get the tow vehicle level and the trailer also. Ball height is a big deal, it's a balancing act.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:08 AM   #28
Gapopper

I towed my TM home last week without a wd hitch. I tow with a 2008 Toyota Tundra. After hooking up , my truck stayed level. The TM towed great without any sway. I read that it is better to have a slight tilt down with your camper. This keeps weight on the ball and less chance of unhooking.
Gapopper is offline   Reply With Quote