TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Newsletter mention of tranny temp gauge

The latest issue of the RV Daily Tips newsletter has a short article about the value of an engine monitor gauge such as the Scan Gauge. Although the article doesn't mention it, there are other gauges in addition to the Scan Gauge, and we have discussed them quite extensively on this board.

http://www.rvtravel.com/?q=daily-rv-tips-issue2609182

The newsletter is free, fun, and informative, especially for people who enjoy RVing but are not mechanical experts. And just for the record, I have no connection to RV Daily Tips, RV Travel, or any of the gauge companies.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

I read that as a lot of good info is there.

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
moaboy

And the Saturday edition is especially full of all types of RV related info. Free fun reads.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default New toy...

Maybe you guys already know about this, but this Android ap:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rquefree&hl=en

and this gizmo for $24:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gives you a continuous real time readout on the vehicle computer on your smart phone, complete with gauges and digital readouts. It also gives you the ability to read and reset codes
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

My new 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee has all the following readouts on the digital display under the Engine readout selection.
1. Engine Temp.
2. Engine Oil Temp.
3. Engine Oil Pressure
3. Transmission Oil Temp. ( The most important one when Towing)

During our trip this summer from Calgary to Vancouver Island the tranny temp which runs normally about 77 C ( 170 F) never went over 86 C (187 F) on even the highest mountain passes we crossed, one of which is 1440 meters (4725 feet ) in height. This all without having to add a extra tranny cooler which Chrysler does not recommend. So hats of to Jeep. They have seemed to have done their homework when it came to towing with their vehicles.

TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6200 lbs tow capacity, 620 lbs tong weight, V6-3.6 liter gas with factory tow package, Prodigie3 Brake Control, Anderson "No-Sway" Weight Distributing Hitch.

TM 2720, 2011, A/C, Awning, Swingtongue, 40 Gal fresh water, Stove and Sink Cupboards, Radio/CD Player, TV ant., Microwave Oven, Electric Tongue Jack, Black Windows and Frame, and Woodgrain Vinyl Flooring
Kwantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
Joseph

Default Old school . . .

You could of course just place a sensor in the tranny line, or if you do not want to cut a line you can do it this way.

http://www.genosgarage.com/installat...tickSensor.pdf

I got one of those SCAN-GUAGE II's and it will not pick up tranny temp on my old 1997 Chevy Cheyenne. Lots of other good data though and I am gald I have it. Any how. I have a sensor on the transmission dip stick and an old fashioned analog guage in the cab.... Old truck has an aux tranny cooler and the only time I ever saw it move was stop and go traffic in the heat of summer. Got all the way to 150..LOL... Towing is not an issue. Climbing the Rockies this summer it almost got to 100...
Old 09-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Interesting alternative, Joseph. I wasn't even aware of this device. It appears to cost about $150, which is considerably less than the Scan Gauge or AeroForce Interceptor gauge. Their prices have gone up considerably in recent years. I like the dual-needle display, too. The digital readout on my AeroForce is hard to read under many light conditions.

Of course, those of us with tow vehicles that don't have a transmission dipstick (like my Explorer) are out of luck. But I get the feeling that lack of a dipstick is a relatively rare design - a good thing in my opinion.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Of course, those of us with tow vehicles that don't have a transmission dipstick (like my Explorer) are out of luck. But I get the feeling that lack of a dipstick is a relatively rare design - a good thing in my opinion.

Bill
My Sequoia does not have a dipstick. Fluid has to be pumped directly into the tranny housing under the car. PITA. Supposedly meant to reduce the incidence of owners messing with their tranny.....

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
Joseph

Red face OOppps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

Bill
You know, your right. Totally forgot about the sealed transmissions on the newer cars. My 2013 dodge minivan that I have from corporate does not have a tranny dipstick, and the one before it did not have one either. My bad guys.