TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
V8Square

Default Towing with a Toyota Tacoma

Has anyone towed with a Toyota Tacoma? We have a 2001, V6, automatic, 4WD in excellent shape, both body and mechanical. Up until a year ago, we towed a 1996 22 foot Hi-Lo that weighed 3,800 pounds. Need advice
Old 03-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
davlin
TrailManor Master

I have not, but two things that come to mind for any TV: is your Tacoma equipped with a "tow package"? This usually includes a frame mounted receiver (as opposed to bumper mounted), separate transmission cooler, increased engine cooling, perhaps a lower gear ratio for the differential, etc., etc. Do you have a brake controller installed so that your trailer brakes function? This may seem like a silly question, but I see people towing all the time only using the the brakes of the TV to stop the rig. That's a recipe for lots of bad things. I do not believe that its a good idea to tow at or near the TV's recommended capacity. I'm guessing that with the factory tow package, your Tacoma should have a tow capacity of 5,000 lbs, but you need to check your owner's manual and vehicle data plate to know for sure.
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
rumbleweed

You don't say what you plan to tow (model#). There are many members towing with that TV. Do a search. As previous post says tow package is very desirable but brake controller is a must. Also where do plan to tow ( flat lands or mtns)?
Old 03-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
V8Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlin View Post
I have not, but two things that come to mind for any TV: is your Tacoma equipped with a "tow package"? This usually includes a frame mounted receiver (as opposed to bumper mounted), separate transmission cooler, increased engine cooling, perhaps a lower gear ratio for the differential, etc., etc. Do you have a brake controller installed so that your trailer brakes function? This may seem like a silly question, but I see people towing all the time only using the the brakes of the TV to stop the rig. That's a recipe for lots of bad things. I do not believe that its a good idea to tow at or near the TV's recommended capacity. I'm guessing that with the factory tow package, your Tacoma should have a tow capacity of 5,000 lbs, but you need to check your owner's manual and vehicle data plate to know for sure.
Yes. It is equipped with a tow package. As I said, we towed a Hi-Lo
Old 03-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
V8Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
You don't say what you plan to tow (model#). There are many members towing with that TV. Do a search. As previous post says tow package is very desirable but brake controller is a must. Also where do plan to tow ( flat lands or mtns)?
We are looking at a 2720 and a 2617? We go all over. When we towed our 3800 pound HiLo it was a little rough on long,steep mountain grades. Like I-40 in Arizona
Old 03-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
davlin
TrailManor Master

Both the 2720 and the 2619 have the capability to come around 4,000 lbs. when fully loaded. Three hundred pounds of that weight could be eliminated by keeping the water tank empty (versus completely full). In any case, I think you're going to find that pulling one will be very similar to your Hi-Lo experience. I pull a 3124KS (around 4400 lbs. as we load it) with a 5.4 Liter Ford F-150 (8900 lbs tow capacity). Even with that much extra towing capacity, I still know when I'm going uphill!
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
brulaz

We towed our Trailmanor Elkmont all over with a 4L V6 2009 Tacoma. The trailer is about 4000# but an upright, so headwinds were hard on it.

In the mountains out west we just slowed down and followed the big trucks. The Tacoma could do it fine, but it was noisy with the downshifting and high revs needed to get the torque.

But our main problem was the lack of payload. Ours only had 1050# and the trailer's tongue weight was ~620#. Think the folding trailmanors are similar. With all our gear, kayaks, bikes and stuff, the Tacoma was always overloaded by 300-500#. That's the main reason we got the F150: payload.

The F150 Eco's low-end torque, the 6 spd tow/haul tranny, and built-in brake controller were all icing on the cake.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
Scott O

The 2001 Tacoma is very different from the 2009 model. Toyota changed from the smaller body style to the current style in 2005. All I can contribute is that the 2005+ model years do a fine job towing at least a 2720. Which doesn't help the OP!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:51 AM   #9
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

If you got away with pulling a 22' Hi Lo you should have no problem with the TM; typically the Hi-Lo's run about 2000# heavier then a TM. From a personal point of view I wouldn't try pulling either with your TV.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote