TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2007, 07:33 PM   #1
Popup lover

Default Wind and the TM

Hi There
I am new to the forum. My husband and I have a Fleetwood Popup which we love. We travel a lot. We have an issue. In high wind, the unit (when up) vibrates and is actually quite frightening.

We are considering switching to a TM, but would like to be sure that they do not have a similar issue.

Let me know if you have any input related to this issue and thanks so much in advance for your help.

Ed and Sharon
Old 05-24-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
2blueranger
Site Sponsor

We've been in snow storms, with the temperature in the 20's and still warm with no vibrations.
2blueranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:36 PM   #3
Doug W.

About the only issue I have in a stong thunderstorm is when it is raining in a downpour. The sound of the rain hitting the roof can get a little loud. We have been camping when there was 40 to 50 MPH wind and it was not an issue for us. There was a pretty strong thunderstorm when we were on vacation last week. I have been in some bad enough that we got in the car instead of staying in the tent trailer over the years. We did not even think of it last week. In fact being in the TM seems to feel just as safe as being in a car during a storm.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:25 PM   #4
NiceMustang

We just had a super hard storm yesterday with our TM 2619 set up in our driveway getting ready for this weekend's trip. Tornados hit about 8 miles from our house and the family went to the basement. My wife ran out to the TM to see if things were all right and it was pretty calm inside she said.

At the same time, we spent 20 years in a small pop-up and the wind was kind of unforgiving on it. It would vibrate with the canvas sides and ends pretty good. The TM seems to be so far beyond anything we've experienced that it'll seem like we're in a basement compared to the pop-up (that said, we'd never want to stay put in a storm like we just went through if we were in fact camping).

Hope this helps...coming from a pop-up ourselves, we think you'd be pretty happy with a TM from a comparison point of view.

Dan...
Old 05-25-2007, 07:38 AM   #5
Bob&Karen

I agree with everything said here. We, too, have spent some scary time in a pop-up. Two years ago, about this time of year, we were in eastern Colorado off I-70 when one of those thunderstorms blew through. We were in a Fleetwood Sequoia (14' box pop-up). We got to the point that we took the three dogs and spent the night in the car. Needless to say, we didn't sleep well.

When we reached our destination in Utah (Glendale, I think) there was a CONSTANT 30-40 mph wind. It actually bent the overhead support rod on one bed end with a sudden gust (the wind was coming dead-on at that end).

Needless to say, when we got home, we had decided to look for something else. Found TrailManors and haven't looked back. We have yet to stay in any really bad weather in ours, but I don't think there will be any issues.

Bob
Old 05-25-2007, 08:56 AM   #6
Queeniereads

We spent the night in a terrible wind and rain storm in Montreal in a tent camper (Fleetwood) and it was scary. We finally opened all the curtains so we would not bend parts -- letting the wind go thru the camper. We have never had anything like that in a TM, but remember something that weighs 5000 pounds is never as steady as a house. LOL We have felt quite safe and dry in our TM. THis kind of pop-up is not like a tent camper. Queeniereads aka Q aka Judi
Old 05-25-2007, 09:13 AM   #7
Freedom

The worst time we had was in a Coleman pop-up and we were camped at Waterton Provincial Park in Canada. The wind blew so hard that the whole trailer shook and then it would fill up with air and then the air would go out making a sound like a shotgun! It was pouring rain at the same time. We did fare better than those around us in tents! In the morning all tents were flat! The worst we've ever had in the TM was in Annapolis, MD where it was raining so hard that we couldn't watch a movie on the laptop. The sound wouldn't go high enough to hear it. The wind and rain didn't phase the TM, just the noise was pretty loud. (I'm sure it would have been loud in a tent trailer, too.) We're glad that we upgraded from a tent trailer and probably won't ever have another one.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:40 PM   #8
2bcs1jrt

We just spent a weekend in Carson City Nevada at about 5500 ft. The weather was beautiful in the daytime until around 3pm when the "Zephyr winds" would start in. The TM was perfectly comfortable even though on one night the wind sounded like a freight train non stop until about 2am. Didn't get the rocking that we used to get with our Coleman. It was great!
Cheri
Old 05-25-2007, 03:26 PM   #9
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

We evacuated from Hurricane Rita in our TM but ended up with the fringes of the storm remnant passing over where we were camping. We had 50mph + winds and torrential rains. As others have said, the rain was loud on the roof, but there were no leaks and the camper did not move alarmingly.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:29 PM   #10
evans27292

my wife and i last nov. in st. augustine fla. in a 05,3023 was in gail force winds for 3 days no problem.