TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
StoneyLonesome

Default Must Haves for maiden voyage home?

Hello!

My husband and I will be traveling four hours south this Saturday to pick up our new to us 2004 2619. We've been tent campers for many years, so we're learning about towing and campers as we go.

Besides very obvious things we'll need in place, such as correct hitch, wiring, and brake controller (Prodigy, hope to have that installed tomorrow!) - what other items do you all recommend we bring with us?

List so far:

Bottle jack (plus floor jack?)
jack stands - overkill?
High psi tire gauge
Portable compressor
Infrared temperature gun for checking bearings
Basic tool kit - any ones specific to TMs we should have?
Road hazard kit with reflective triangle
Wheel chucks
Locking hitch pin - any other things we need locks for?

I have downloaded Mike & Kelly's manual- thanks!

Roll of paper towels / grease gun, two tubes of NLGI-2
(can you tell I'm paranoid? haha)

There is a Harbor Freight in our area, which I noticed everyone recommends.

We'll be running on flatlands with '07 Jeep Commander TV, so we're not concerned about cooling/tranny issues at this time.

The PO tells us the tires are 'like new', but we plan to replace at home and have bearings repacked, brakes checked etc.

We're very excited about graduating to a TM after reading so many good comments and reviews of their campers! It will be a relief to pull it safely into our driveway, though, with us being such newbies. The forum is soooo helpful.

Jim & Sheri
Old 03-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
commodor47
Site Sponsor

I highly recommend you have an auxiliary transmission cooler installed at the same time as the hitch and brake controller. My original TV was a 2003 Jeep Liberty. One of the first things I had installed was an auxiliary transmission cooler (at the same time the shop installed the hitch and brake controller). Towing short distances over level terrain can place a strain on the transmission and cause it to fail prematurely.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
klv5920

Congrats!! You won't regret it! I have felt your excitement! Can't wait to get on the road with my own TM!!
Please pay the $12 to join this forum! Worth 100 times the amount. There is a wealth of information here going back many many years. And everyone is willing to help.
And start reading! And use the search engine. The questions you have, others have already asked and most likely you will find the answer already posted here somewhere.
If you don't, then just ask and if it has been answer, they will give you the correct posting. If it hasn't been asked, you will get many answers from the veterans here.
Welcome welcome!!

Karen
Old 03-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Heh, my maiden voyage out I forgot wheel chocks. Was not easy to find on a Sunday in rural Wisconsin...

Congrats, and welcome to the Family!
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

If you have Mike and Kelley's manual, you've just about got it all.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Make sure the TM battery is fully charged prior to your arrival. It will power the brakes in the event the TM separates from your vehicle.

The tires on most folks' TM's are "like new", even the ones that blow out -- that's because trailer tires typically get very little wear. But it's the age that counts. If it were me, and the tires were more than ~3-4 years old (via the date code on the tire), my first stop would be to a tire dealer near the seller to get them replaced. I would not wait till I got home -- since you're going to do it anyway, why not have the benefit of brand new tires on your first trip instead of risking a damaging blowout before you even get home? You could even call the tire shop between now and then to pre-order the tires to make sure they were there upon your arrival, and set an appt for Saturday. It could also be the time to upgrade to 15" wheels if it doesn't have them already. Three new wheels & tires are ~$500.

If the hubs were anything but slightly warm by the time I got to the tire shop, I would also have them repack (or even replace) the bearings and adjust the brakes at the same time -- it would probably cost about $100. Again, since you're going to do it anyway.....

Especially since you're new to towing, you really really want to avoid a blowout.

I think the jack stands are overkill.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
rumbleweed

Get a T handle lug wrench from an auto store with the standard assortment of lug sizes. TM doe not use the same lug size as most vehicles. The other accessories you have ready will be of little use if you can not get the lugs off.