TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
Joseph

Red face Pawnee Campground, Ward CO closed 2011 / Local input please?

Pawnee Campground in the Brainard Lake Recreation Area, close to Ward Colorado, is going to be closed for the 2011 season for culvert repair and new water system installation. At least that is what is posted on the Forest Service website. Well, shoot! The wife and I spent a few days up there and it was wonderful. We were planning on going back, God willing, with our two sons summer 2011. Was wondering if some of you local Colorado folks would be kind enough to share your opinion of a substitute campground being as it looks like Pawnee is not going to be an option. I know there are lots of wonderful spots out there so this may not be an easy request. At best this is very subjective.

But, for example, we could go back to Bear Lake campground near Yampa. But to tell you the truth, would rather go someplace new.

This Georgia Boy has lots of Colorado maps, and guide books to help plan for next year. I use Colorado Campgrounds by Gil Folsom, U.S. National Forest Campground Guide, Rocky Mountain Region, by Fred and Suzanne Dow, the Colorado Atlas & Gazetteer by DeLORME, also their computer software to get 3D images, and of course I keep Google Satellites in business.. - I need all the help I can get doing this from a chair in Georgia! and will have at it as time permits.

But you know, there is absolutely no substitute for on the ground, local knowledge.

In trying to sum up what made this campground so special I came up with several factors. Elevation, mountain views, distance from major roads and cities, (not too close) available trails, lakes and streams, the ability to reserve sites. Pawnee has it all. Should be even better with the improvements being planned. I suppose I will pull out the Gazetteer and follow along the continental divide to start my research. But, once again, there is no substitute for local on the ground knowledge to lift the fog of not knowing. Please, fire off a PM if you wish, and Thank You for your suggestions!

Happy Camping!
Old 09-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

We just found Dick's and Peaceful Valley Campgrounds in that area. They have NO hookups and the water is a water PUMP that you pump by hand but they are both really nice with lots of trails around. They do not have a dump station but there is a free one right across the street from the visitor center in Lyons.

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
Al-n-Sue

A ways south of there is Golden Gate Canyon State Park. It is prety full weekends during the summer, but sites are well spaced and have electricity. Lots of hiking trails. Reservable via reserveamerica.com.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
Joseph

Default Thank you . . .

Thank you both for the suggestions! I have been doing some research this weekend (on call anyway - tied to a computer so what the heck!) and both of your suggestions were on the short list. I will check them out in more detail now that I have input from real folks. Thanks!

I have no problem pumping or carrying water, driving gravel roads, traveling distance etc... The TM has a few portable solar panels so hookups are not needed. (but nice to have so there is not any generator noise.)

Our background is tent and pop-up so conserving power, water, tank space, etc, comes natural to us still. All we need is a destination

Have TM. Will travel!
Old 09-13-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Golden Gate is nice too. Water and electric hookups are always handy. Peaceful Valley and Dick's are more rustic, private . . . We liked Dick's better. We stayed in space 7 at Peaceful Valley. It is right at the entrance but it wasn't that big a deal. It is also really close to the (I believe) Middle St. Vrain River. It would be a good spot for those solar panels. Space 1 is really nice too. You drive through Peaceful Valley to get to Dick's which is at the end of the road but there is a trailhead at the very end so there is traffic due to that. Space 35 is by far the most private but kind of dark. We both loved space 16. I hope you have a great time, wherever you land!

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
Joseph

Default Thank you . . .

Now thats good intel....

Can't get any better ground troop knowledge than that!

Thank you!