TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-30-2006, 11:23 AM   #1
Itaricans

Unhappy need help!

hello, everyone.
i`ve got a big problem, i was coming back from texas last night with my two grand daughters and dw when the trailler plug came off and i did not notice untill this morning, it`s all frayed and the wires are showing and the head of the plug is really worn out. i think starting from the plug, about 1ft 1/2 would have to be replaced. now, can i do it myself? or should i take to and rv place around here? (kc mo) and how much do guys think this is going to cost? any help, ideas, are welcome . thanks. louie
Old 10-30-2006, 01:33 PM   #2
Walter Roach

Default Knowledgeable and helpful source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itaricans View Post
hello, everyone.
i`ve got a big problem, i was coming back from texas last night with my two grand daughters and dw when the trailler plug came off and i did not notice untill this morning, it`s all frayed and the wires are showing and the head of the plug is really worn out. i think starting from the plug, about 1ft 1/2 would have to be replaced. now, can i do it myself? or should i take to and rv place around here? (kc mo) and how much do guys think this is going to cost? any help, ideas, are welcome . thanks. louie
I found the folks at Southwest Wheel to be very knowledgeable and helpful. http://brakecontroller.com/ . If all else fails, send them an email or give them a call. My issue was on the other side, creating a 7 wire female plug. Hope this will help. -- Walter
Old 10-30-2006, 01:49 PM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...=5837&src=SRQB

We were on our way to Yosemite one year and stopped for lunch. When we got out, we found that our connector cable had been dragging on the ground and had worn clean through! The plug was OK, though.

Luckily, there was an auto parts store down the street so we just bought some two-end wire connectors, reattached the wires (we just happened to have a crimping tool with us), wrapped it all up with electrical tape, and were on our way.

Now we always drive the TM with our lights on so we can look back and see if the TM running lights are on, that way we know that the plug is still connected.

When we got home we decided to take the TM to the local hitch place and have them put on a new plug and repair the connection professionally. I don't think it cost much more than $100. I'll check when I get home. It turns out that they connected some of the wires wrong so we had to take it back and have them fix it again!
Old 10-30-2006, 03:09 PM   #4
Freedom

The needed parts are available at Wal-Mart - at least at most Wal-Marts. You can just splice in the new wires with crimp connectors, or better yet solder them and use shrink tubing for insulation. Crimp connectors are good for temporary use but tend to corrode. For long term use, the solder and shrink tubing is a lot better.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:28 PM   #5
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I dragged my plug on a trip to Minnesota. I only damaged the plug, not the wire. It cost less than $10 to get a new plug and I replaced it myself. Might be a little worse if you damaged some wire but it's not a major disaster.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:38 PM   #6
Doug W.

It should not be to hard. The wires are normally a standard color. Jim is right, soldering is better than crimping if you know how to do it. Still I did two-way radio work for years. If you get good crimp connectors, then corrosion is not as much an issue. If you do not feel comfortable doing it, drop me a PM and I will try and make it up by the big orange water tower and help you since I live in Independence.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:44 AM   #7
Itaricans

Smile thanks everyone

i want to thank everyone for your responses and help, i called liberty rv, in liberty mo, and they had the whole cable with the plug, 8ft long, mine got 2 ft, of damaged wires, cover, plug, wich is flat on one side from draging. and i was thinking it was going to cost me about $60. or more but it was only $27. and then i got the good sams discount. if they did themselfs it would be $75. h/r. now all i have to do is go under the trailler and disconnect the old wiring and connect the new one. so i`ll let you guys know how it went. again, thanks a lot. louie