TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-21-2005, 04:11 PM   #1
one504

Default Fresh water an issue for boondockers?

Hi all,

Wondering how the boondockers here are dealing with the 20 gallon tank - is that an issue? I suppose I can pack a couple of 5 gallon cans, but with the wife & 3 kids in the Durango, there's not alot of extra room available.

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2005, 07:19 PM   #2
BobRederick

You have to teach the family all how to ration the water! I am finding 20 gal goes quite a ways if you are very careful. Otherwise, you can use 10 gallons on a single shower. I have been able to use less than an inch of water in the tank for that. Just trickle the water to wash hands. I also bring drinking water and set the jug on the counter. I find a great advantage of the TM over my Coleman is I can see the fresh water tank and know exactly how much is left or being used. That way, I can enjoy the water maximally. The Coleman had me afraid to use any as I never knew what remained. Take some extra water along on your first trip, but after a trip or two, you probably won't need to do that.

Of course, it matters a lot on how long you stay out, but the potty will probably fill up before the water runs out.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:32 PM   #3
PopBeavers

I ordered the 40 gallon water tank for our TM 2720. It will last 4-5 adults about 4 days if we conserve.

Drinking beer instead of water helps a little
Old 08-21-2005, 08:02 PM   #4
one504

Oh heck, I didn't know there was a 40 gallon option now - that might be the trick, although I don't suppose I'd be wanting to fill that before I got relatively close to the campground.

Of course, I could stick with the 20 gallon - which would free up 167lbs for beer!
Old 08-21-2005, 08:54 PM   #5
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

When we go out dry camping, which we usually do every summer for at least 10 days, we have to fill up the water tank constantly. I think that I take pretty quick showers, but what with the dishwashing, and handwashing, and other types of washing (including showers for 2 teenagers), we use a lot of water (there are 4 of us camping).

We carry along a 5 gallon Coleman solar shower bag that collapses to less than 1/8" thick and use this to fill up the water tank. We've had the same one for many years and it doesn't have any leaks yet. We use a 10 gallon blueboy tote to deal with the grey water. The 5 gallon tote isn't that heavy, but we're thinking about making a PVC stand that we could hang it from while it drains into the tank, and could also be taken apart for storage.

I think that next time we go out I'll buy one of those 2 1/2 gallon plastic jugs of drinking water that we could refill and just set over the sink for a fresh water source to use for washing dishes. Despite all of my water saving efforts, like wiping out the dinner pots with paper towels, etc. we still use way more water than I'd like to.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:59 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

A reminder. It takes 6 gallons to fill the water heater. And another couple gallons to charge the toilet. If you start out with 20 gallons, and then fill these devices when you reach the campground, you will use about half of your water. You'll feel pretty dumb - take the word of one who has done it.

As you note, water is very heavy. You don't say what model TM you have, but the idea of carrying 40 gallons of water (or 48 gallons if you pre-charge the water heater and toilet) makes me pretty queasy. I certainly wouldn't do it in my 2720. And since you camp with 5 people, you probably carry a great deal more "stuff" than my wife and I do, so you may have even less margin.

When I am camping in places that don't have hookups, but do have a central faucet, I bring two empty 5-gallon water totes that I got from Wal-Mart, and a kayak bilge pump to which I have fitted a garden hose connector. (Go to www.rei.com and type 684985 into the search box.) Once the TM is unhitched and set up, I drive to the faucet, fill the totes, and bring them back. The pump fits into the mouth of the totes, and I pump the water into the TM's tanks. Three trips and I am done, with some spare water left over.

Someone on this board installed a small 12-volt water pump, I think in the refrig compartment, for this same purpose.

If you must leave home with water, I suggest that you carry as much in the tow vehicle as you can.

HTH

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:46 PM   #7
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
As you note, water is very heavy. You don't say what model TM you have, but the idea of carrying 40 gallons of water (or 48 gallons if you pre-charge the water heater and toilet) makes me pretty queasy. I certainly wouldn't do it in my 2720.
I don't feel nervous at all carrying water with me in my 2720. 40 gallon tank, plus 6 for the water heater plus 2 for the toilet. 48*8.553 = 410 pounds.

I had my TV plus TM weighed recently. I intentionally loaded more stuff than I could ever justify into the TM. TM axle was 3380, 120 pounds under limit. Total weight of TV plus TM was 10,600 pounds. 410/10600 is 3.8 percent.

The weight of all that water is a little less than 4 percent of total weight.

The best fuel economy I ever recorded with no load on a freeway was 13.5 mpg. The best fuel economy I ever recorded towing the TM was 12.5 mpg. The worst was 9.5 driving the speed limit uphill eastbound on I80 in the Sierras.

From the perspective of total weight and fuel economy I just don't see any significant advantage in drinking strange water at my destination.

Years ago, back when we were tent campers we camped at Antlers campgound at Lake Shasta. The pump failed and there was no water for most of the week. We had to drive a couple of miles to the nearest gas station to get water. We only had a single 2 gallon water container plus a coffee pot and several cook pots. That was very annoying. I see no reason to drive dry.

Am I missing something?
Old 08-23-2005, 07:09 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Am I missing something?
Wayne -

No, you are not. If you have done the weights, and you have plenty of margin, then you are OK to travel with all the water you want. For me, 410 pounds of water would put me over the top - but perhaps I travel with more "stuff" than you do, especially when we go coast-to-coast twice a year. I posted my actual weights, with dry tanks, a couple weeks ago.

Gas mileage is not a concern to me. My tow vehicle is going to move a total rig weight of 7000-8000 pounds. In that context, removing 410 pounds to improve gas mileage would be inconsequential.

Quote:
I just don't see any significant advantage in drinking strange water ...
"Strange water" isn't a problem, at least from my perspective. We often carry a 2-1/2 gallon bottle of spring water, as others have said they do, and we use it for drinking/icemaking. I have never encountered water so bad that I wouldn't shower in it or wash dishes in it - I'm not talking third-world country here. So to me, anyway, the possibility of "strange water" is not a reason to carry 400 pounds of "home water", especially for thousands of miles. But your mileage, or your taste, may vary, of course.

Just my 2 cents ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:56 PM   #9
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
So to me, anyway, the possibility of "strange water" is not a reason to carry 400 pounds of "home water", especially for thousands of miles.
So far we have logged almost 2000 miles in 5 trips. That makes for an average trip of 400 miles, round trip.

But since you mentioned it, I could see it would be an issue if I were to drive all the way to Yellowstone from San Jose.

I suppose the reality is that for short tips with big TV's (like my Chevy 1500HD crew cab) take all the water you want as long as you don't overload the TM axle. Longer trips or smaller TV would perhaps be better with less water.

It all depends.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:36 AM   #10
one504

My Durango's only rated for 4300lbs, unless I regear it - which gives it a more useful 6400lbs of capacity. We're looking at a 3023, so I think I should plan on towing with an empty tank for now.