TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-28-2005, 12:52 PM   #1
Joesjunk
Site Sponsor

Default Where to fill water tank out west

My wife and I are planning a cross country trip this fall and plan on setting up the TM in many campgrounds without water or electric. Where can I fill my water tank? I will be in CO, UT, AZ, NV, NM, and TX in the September and October time frame. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help,
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:48 PM   #2
BobRederick

Joe

I pulled my new TM from Indiana to Az last fall. We bought it end of Sept and got back about mid Oct. All campgrounds along the way are open at that time. Get a campground handbook from Camping World or otherwhere. The handbook tells what they have for hookups, lot sizes, etc. You can call by cell phone while on the road, determine vacancies and make reservations. You can even call them now and find when they close for the year.

Bob
Old 07-28-2005, 05:49 PM   #3
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

If you are talking about public parks, most have a water source somewhere in the park. Otherwise you may be able to get water at the service stations you use, interstate rest areas or truck stops.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 07:49 PM   #4
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default October could be really, really iffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesjunk
My wife and I are planning a cross country trip this fall and plan on setting up the TM in many campgrounds without water or electric. Where can I fill my water tank? I will be in CO, UT, AZ, NV, NM, and TX in the September and October time frame. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help,
First, keep in mind that "out west" is awfully, awfully vague. There are huge differences in the situation in Sept, and especially October, between camping in "warm" states like TX (or NV or AZ) and camping in colder, higher altitude states like CO and UT. Sorta like me asking about camping "back east" in October and asking about NY or NH or VT and FL in the same question.

And even moreso, even in states like Colorado or Utah there are huge differences between camping in low altitude campgrounds (open all year) and high altitude camprounds (which close right after Labor Day...or at least turn off their water supplies right after Labor Day due to freezing night time temperatures).

That being said, if you are thinking of National Forest or National Park campgrounds (neither of which normally have campsite hookups...but which are by far the most common campground in Colorado and Utah), you'd best check sources like ReserveUSA which provide a general desription of each desired campground as well as the specifics of each campsite. Unlike commercial "Parks" (a misnomer if there ever was one), you do not make a reservation in a campground via ReserveUSA or ReserveAmerica but rather you make a reservation for a specific campsite. Pay very close attention to campground closing dates and the dates where water will be shut off even if the campground remains open for the winter season. In Colorado, "winter" season can begin as early as Sept 10th!

I personally would not try to camp at altitudes over 7500 feet in Colorado or Utah after mid September...you stand a good chance of having subfreezing night time temperatures and even significant snowfall to deal with. I also would not try to obtain water from non-campground sources (gas stations, Intersate rest stops, etc.) under any conditions, especially with a TM that requires it be opened to fill the fresh water tank. And even if the campground has an operational water supply, you would be well advised to carrry one or two 5 gallon collapsible totes because only one water spigot may be operational in the entire campround and that location of that one spigot could literally be many thousands of feet from your campsite. And finally, even if you can find a source of potable water, finding an open dump station in the high country of either Colorado or Utah after mid September could be a real challenge.

Fundamentally the camping season in the higher elevations of Colorado (and much of Utah) is June 15th to Sept 10th. Stay south (like TX or AZ) or very low altitude if you want to safely camp in October.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:30 AM   #5
Joesjunk
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRederick
Joe

I pulled my new TM from Indiana to Az last fall. We bought it end of Sept and got back about mid Oct. All campgrounds along the way are open at that time. Get a campground handbook from Camping World or otherwhere. The handbook tells what they have for hookups, lot sizes, etc. You can call by cell phone while on the road, determine vacancies and make reservations. You can even call them now and find when they close for the year.

Bob
Think we have the weather covered. Will be in southern NV the last week of September and taking the southern route back toward NC throught AZ, NM, TX, LA, .... Got lots of camping books. Lots of info on campgrounds. Cell phones. Laptop. This is quite a camping trip for us, 7 to 8 weeks, and I'm trying to think of everything. I know I'll miss something, but, that's life. Like to see the gas prices drop. Some of the check list available are very helpful.

Thanks to all that replied.
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:57 PM   #6
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We carry two portable 5 gallon, collapsible water totes with us. The campground we like to stay in does not allow you to use a hose from the "community" spigots located througout the campground into your water tank (unless you want to drive your TM to the dump site), so you have to fill up with the portable totes. We like to use our 5-gal Coleman shower as a tote. It folds up very compactly and has a long hose that can be inserted into your water fill inlet.

However, we do get tired of holding it up while it drains, and with the awning out, there is no way to sling a rope over the top of the TM to support the water bag. My next project will be to build a pvc "stand" to hold the bag over the inlet. I think that all we will need is two 90 degree angles, and a piece of 20' pvc. I think that 3/4" will be OK. I'll make two legs about 5-6 feet high and run less than a 1' section between the legs connected with the angles, and just lean the stand against the trailer. A large s-hook over the middle section should hold the bag. As long as there is loose dirt around that area, that's all we should need. I'll leave the pieces unglued so that it can be taken apart for packing.

Now I have to find something to carry the water bag from the spigot to the trailer with (besides my DH, he gets tired of doing it).
Old 08-24-2005, 05:22 PM   #7
hal

Joe, did you say you were going to be in Colorado in October or December. Why not join our group for a camp out on the weekends of Sep 9-10 and Sep 30-1 It would be great to have anyone join us..... this includes anyone else that is heading this way.

For details, you can contact

Hal Swanso
[email protected]
Old 08-28-2005, 06:33 PM   #8
k_and_p_camping

Default Use a manual bilge pump to move water from bag to TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D
However, we do get tired of holding it up while it drains, and with the awning out, there is no way to sling a rope over the top of the TM to support the water bag.
We bought a kayak bilge pump to move the water from a 6 gallon plastic container to the water inlet of the TM. They have very large plastic hoses that transfer the water fast and efficiently. We also take a small luggage cart (the little portable ones folks put in the airplane) and carry the water back on that. That way we can take the large container (I really wouldn't want to walk very far carrying almost 50 pounds!). The bilge pump can be found in paddling shops and some general outdoor stores that have a good paddling section. The pump looks like a great big water cannon that kids use and takes up very little room.

Pam