TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-18-2007, 08:54 AM   #1
BrianG

Default No power from 120 V outlets - GFI breaker ON

Dear All,
I am the proud owner of a 2003 2720. I recently replaced my water heater element because I unknowingly fried it by having the switch on. That seemed to have solved one problem I had but now I have no power to the outlets. We usually dry camp so I rarely use these but I know that when I tested them previously after I purchased the trailer in 2004 they worked. If anyone could provide some recommendations that would be great. I saw a previous thread concerning a related problem, however, in that case the GFI breaker would not stay on. In my case, when I switch it to off and then back to on, it stays on but I have to push it in and up for it to do so.
Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.
Brian
Old 06-18-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

When you push the TEST button on the GFI breaker, does it go SNAP to the off position? If it doesn't go SNAP, it wasn't really on.

By any chance, is there a GFI outlet anywhere in the trailer? I know that in 2002, one of the outlets (instead of a breaker) had the GFI function for all the rest of the outlets. I suppose it is possible that in 2003, you got both, you lucky guy!

If it isn't either of these things, then you will need to remove the cover from the converter, and CAREFULLY use a test light or a meter to confirm that there is power going into the GFI breaker, and power coming out of it. If the answers are yes/no, then you may need to replace the breaker. About $30, as I recall.

By the way, the water heater circuit isn't in any way related to the outlet circuit, so I suspect the two events are independent.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:58 PM   #3
BrianG

You're correct Bill. It was not really on even though it was positioned upward. Turns out I vigorously pressed down on the switch and then snapped it back up and low and behold the test worked and then when I tested the outlets....they worked. Thanks for the help and happy camping.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:34 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

You're welcome, Brian. One of the things they don't tell you about circuit breakers is that when one trips out, you can't reset it by simply moving the toggle back to the ON position (like a light switch). First, you have to move it to the OFF position, and then to the ON position.

This construction makes it impossible to hold a breaker ON against a fault - a very important attribute.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote