TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-19-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
KM & SS

Default Tm leaking

I bought a brand new 2007 leftover TM in March of 2008. Since then I have been having leaks. Some of the leaks have been fixed but I still have the big kitchen window leaking and the back window. I have attempted to have fixed 4 times and it is still leaking. Is anyone else out there having problems. I am also concerned about black mold at this point. Can someone please help with any info. Karen
Old 07-19-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
AstroBruce

Welcome to the Club. Besides many various roof and window leaks that I have fixed over the 4 years I have owned a TM, I have a persistent rear window leak. I can't have anything lay against the rear wall, or the bed gets soaked. I have sealed the rear window, stone guard and support arms, roof seams, clearance lights, and tail lights. I still have water running out the bottom of the rear window.

Keep taking it back to the dealer until all the leaks are fixed or you will be "stuck" when the warranty runs out.

Hopefully this thread will produce a fix for my leak.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
rumbleweed

The seam caulk on the TM is not bullet prof. If the dealer sent their wash kid out to prep it for delivery with a power washer or decent pressure hose it could loosen some of the seams. Many times what appears to be a window leak is actually a roof or external light fixture leak that stays in the walls until it finds a window. Take a hair dryer on cool and direct it at about a 45 degree angle to the roof all along the seams perpendicular to the seam. Look for the caulk to flutter. Carefully inspect this area for loose caulk. If you can see under it and there is dirt there it is loose. Cut it out to the point you find a good seal, clean it with alcohol and replace. I use marine 5200 sealant. It is a little messy to deal with, but it will outlast the TM. I had several leaks and finally just re-caulked the entire roof of my TM. Now no issues. The problem with a dealer fixing it is where the water exits can move depending on the leveling of the TM and it may appear at a different place on the dealers olt than t did when you noticed it. I carry a tube of 5200 in my junk drawer just in case.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

There has been a lot of discussion about exterior leaks and their fixes. Most of them are in the Exterior forum, which is where this thread belongs. I will leave the thread here for a couple days, but then I will move it.

KM&SS, you should review the information about becoming a Site Sponsor. It can be found on the opening page of the forum (www.trailmanorowners.com and click on the Sponsorship link) or in this thread

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=8944

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
tkeaton

Default leak

I just spent a few hours removing and recaulking the back shell of my 2009 TM. The longer that I have it, the more I notice that it is a fragile trailer that does not have the top notch products and workmanship that I was told about and sold on. I had a leak above the rear window. I could not see anything directly outside of the leak other than seams. The "old" caulk just pulled off. They must have used the cheapest caulk they could find. I used Solar Seal which is a solvent based caulking. It won't come off. I am sure I will have to caulk the front shell soon. Here is an idea. Buy aluminum that will span the entire roof. Joints just give a place to leak.