TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-27-2003, 01:35 AM   #1
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Default I made a newbie boo-boo

I had to pack up rather quickly yesterday to make the Memorial Celebration at the site where I was reenacting this weekend, and it didn't dawn on me until this morning that I failed to turn off the propane tanks AND to turn off the water heater!!  I turned the tanks off this morning on the way out, and I will open it up this evening and turn the heater off at the switch.
Is there any possibilty of damage where the the heater vents?  I looked as much as could while it is closed, and don't see anything, but opening it will truly reveal all!! :-/
I will inspect it closely tonight, but I was shocked that I forgot to turn it off, that's something I would expect to do on my first outing..maybe. :-[
I have decided to create laminated check lists (like a pilot uses) to make sure that everything is done before I pull out.  

Larry

Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 05:52 AM   #2
2619PDX

Default Re: I made a newbie boo-boo

Larry:
My wife's after me to make a checklist as well. I don't recall there being an independent switch for the water heater. On mine, there is a red light that indicates when the water heater is on. The gas ignition is automatic.

I guess you'll have hot water until your battery runs out!

I've never left the gas on, as it's the last thing I check before I break camp, but there's always a first time.

Gregg
Old 05-27-2003, 07:00 AM   #3
arknoah

Larry,

I wish that was only a newbie boo-boo.  Since we have a seasonal site for much of the summer (other than our July 2 week vacation) I've left the gas on during the week twice, though of course, the unit it still open.  I always seem to remember to turn off everything when we're actually traveling (okay, once I almost forgot to switch the fridge from AC to DC).   Still, it gives me the willies when I think about what could happen during the week with the gas still turned on.  For some reason, I always seem to remember to turn off the hot water heater at the switch, but the gas knob seems to be giving me trouble....

I've also put together sort of a narrative checklist should Ellen want to head to the campground by herself or with just her and kids so she'll know what to do.  It certainly isn't rocket science, and she's done everything that needs to be done, but never "solo."  
Old 05-27-2003, 07:17 AM   #4
2619PDX

Well now, I think I've just done the same thing, BUT I remembered to turn off the gas.

I'll have to check tonight and see if I left the switch on. At least there is still water in the water heater tank!!

Don't feel bad! Sounds like you've got company... :-[

Gregg
Old 05-27-2003, 07:19 AM   #5
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Larry:
My wife's after me to make a checklist as well. I don't recall there being an independent switch for the water heater. On mine, there is a red light that indicates when the water heater is on. The gas ignition is automatic.

I guess you'll have hot water until your battery runs out!

I've never left the gas on, as it's the last thing I check before I break camp, but there's always a first time.

Gregg
Ha, yeah Gregg, I know that the switch with the light is the dura-spark ignition...once the gas is all burned it will try to re-light 3 times before it just times out, the light on means it's trying to light, once it does light , it should go off.  I'm not sure if it runs off the battery or not, but I will pull the fuse on the batteries tonight anyhow.  

I will in fact make up a list though!! I hate fdorgetting something.

Larry
Old 05-27-2003, 11:14 AM   #6
hal

Speaking strictly from experience....... yipes!  In January, we took posession of our 2003 2720 SD.  I hated to wait until spring and summer to do some things on it.  On a fairly nice day I began my projects.  When the temperature grew colder, I got the great idea of testing my furnace and also warming up the inside of the trailer  to make working more comfortable.  It was warm enough inside the trailer that I slid the needle down to shut off the furnace. Because I planned to work in the trailer the next morning, I did not shut off the propane bottles.  The thermostat control on the 03 trailers  and the on/off switch are one and the same.  I did not slide this control far enough to shut off the furnace.  During the night, the temperature dropped low enough so that the furnace turned on again.

With my SD top down, the furnace exhaust proceeded to “cook” the large flap in the front. (when the flap is folded down for storage, it is directly in front of the furnace exhuast.  The next morning, I raised the top and discovered a 6 inch black (burned) spot.  This was so disappointing to have a new trailer and already to damage it.  I hate to say it but I didn’t learn my lesson.  I repeated this same mistake twice more.  THEN..... I went to Radio Schack and wired in a bright red switch that controls the furnace.  This lighted switch is very visible to me as I stand in the door way, ready put the top down.

Then I replaced the flap in the front. Anyone need a new flap with a very attractive black spot burned into it?  

Hal
Old 05-27-2003, 11:21 AM   #7
2619PDX

Hal:
I'm laughing with you buddy... ;D I really can SEE this happening. This water heater thing is a great example.

We've got to be more careful than those with conventional trailers. I LIKE your light idea. Where did you put it?

I'm going to wire in a pilot light for the porch light as I leave it ON all the time... Frustrating yes, but not potentially lethal as your experience is.

Gregg
Old 05-27-2003, 12:12 PM   #8
hal

I removed the top wire (hot) from the thermostat.  I hooked this wire to one side of the switch.  Then I hooked a short wire to the second pole on the switch and attached it to the top pole of the thermostat.    The light was set into the wood pannel, just to the right of the thermostat.  

The light in the switch is very bright red.  I coudln't miss it now if I wanted to.

Hal
Old 05-27-2003, 03:17 PM   #9
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

OK, I opened the trailer up and all looked just fine! I imagine that because there was no water use, the heater didn't come on, so it would have just been the pilot light.  I will have that one high on the checklist though so I hope not to repeat that one.

I have a funny feeling that the heater is in the same state as you mentioned Hal, but I still have the on/off underneath.  I know it didn't get cold enough to kick the heater on last night..but if it had, this thread would be looking a whole lot different! :P  But I took the fuse out from the batteries, so no chance that the heater would even try to come on now. >

I feel a little better knowing that I am not alone in this though...here I think I have it all figured out and then this happens.......very humbling. :-/

Larry
Old 05-28-2003, 01:22 AM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
I removed the top wire (hot) from the thermostat. I hooked this wire to one side of the switch. Then I hooked a short wire to the second pole on the switch and attached it to the top pole of the thermostat. The light was set into the wood panel, just to the right of the thermostat. The light in the switch is very bright red. I coudln't miss it now if I wanted to.
Hal -

I don't see how this could work, but since you have done it, it's clear that I am misunderstanding something in your description.  Does your thermostat have only two wires coming out of it, or are there more than two?  And you essentially cut one of the wires and connected the switch/light to the cut ends?  Can you tell me the part number of the Radio Shack switch you used?

Thanks

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote