TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-24-2005, 11:31 PM   #1
Jim-NY

Default Is my WDH properly adjusted?

I think I adjusted my WDH right, but I would like those of you with more knowledge on the subject to examine the empirical data below and tell me for sure.

On my first real vacation with the TM in September, I stopped at an Irving truck stop and had them weigh the TM and TV. (BTW- they did it for free as long as I didn't need a print out of the weights.)

The 2720SL and Ridgeline pickup were loaded for a 12-day vacation. Propane full, water and holding tanks empty. We brought most of our food for the trip with us including a couple cases of water and other beverages and perhaps 150 lbs of red oak firewood. I found I could pound on cylinder shaped half gallons of Edy's French Silk ice cream and make them fit nicely in the freezer ...But I do digress...

Here are the results of the weigh in:

Ridgeline (attached to TM with WDH)

Ridgeline Front Axle = 2,580
Ridgeline Rear Axle = 2,820
Ridgeline Total = 5,400 lbs.

TM (Attached to Ridgeline with WDH)

TM Right Wheel 1,720
TM Left Wheel 1,720
TM Total 3,440

Before we left on this vacation, I measured the Ridgeline fender heights without the trailer and adjusted the WDH in an attempt to get it back to the same plane. My WDH is the type that is adjusted by the number of links hanging off the brackets. It is not precisely adjustable and I had to make a choice between 3 links and 2 links. I went with 2, leaving a little more weight on the rear axle and allowing the front to point up slightly rather than putting the extra weight on the front axle. The Ridgeline manual does not recommend using a WDH because of potential improper adjustments. I figured without a WDH the front would definitely be higher, so I thought I should err on the side of leaving the nose up a bit.

The numbers below indicate that, even using the WDH, the front axle of TV had 27 pounds LESS on it than with the trailer than without. This is 525 pounds under the GAWR. The rear axle had 933 pounds more on it, which is 425 lbs. under the GAWR.

Ridgeline alone as per Honda specifications:
Front =2,607 (58%) Rear 1,887 (42%) Total 4,494

Ridgeline as weighed with TM attached and WDH:
Front = 2,580 (48%) Rear 2,820 (52%) Total 5,400

It looks to me like the WDH was properly adjusted. And with a GVWR of 10,088 lbs., I could take 1248 lbs. more ice cream and firewood next time - as long as I am not going to high elevations.

I left the scales thinking it was looking good. In hindsight, I might have tightened the WDH one link and re-weighed. But then I was pushing my luck getting them to weigh me several times so I could get right and left wheels of TM already for free. I guess I could have paid them confused:

Please, be honest and tell me if I am all wet on this. I am counting on you to keep me from damaging my truck with the WDH as Honda warns of.

BTW - The truck pulled this load at low elevations with ease. I have no plans to go the Rockies anytime soon, but I am dying to find out how it will do under those conditions.

Jim