TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

Default Screen Door

Does anyone have any ideas of how to install a screen door when the main door is wide open? The wife and I just purchased a new 2720SD. Well, we ORDERED a 2720SD, let's put it that way. But we have dogs that we wish to keep inside from time to time and they like staying by the door looking out. Our previous Coleman tent camper had a door that you can raise panels that would allow the screen portion of the door to remain in place. That worked very well. But the wife is really bummed that TM didn't have a screen door behind the main door. Looking for ideas.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Depending on your dogs, there are a few things I've seen that might work. I currently have one of these in my house, for the door from the house out to the garage: http://www.secretscreen.com/index.html

We got the striped one, and our dog will stop at it if it's down, as if it were a real door, and wait for us to open it to let him through. I am thinking it could be mounted on the outside of the TM just over the door, perhaps, and you could use it that way.

I don't have my door side available currently to look at the clearance, and it will obviously matter if you have an awning or not. Other options could include hanging screens, but those all open at the bottom and I'd think that most dogs would just walk through those.

On a different tack, it may be possible to engineer a half-door to attach to the cabinet that is right next to the doorway, or event the inside wall on the door hinge side, and then fashion some kind of extension for the upper part that attaches when the TM is set up, but I've never seen anything like that.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Whoa...I like that screen door!

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
klv5920

I intend to make a hanging screen then use a baby gate to keep my dogs inside. The gate is a pressure gate so that I can easily remove to get in and out of the TM.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Found A couple of screens here: (Workable? i dunno)

http://shophometrends.com/

Search for: screen

Tim

Tim
Old 05-24-2011, 04:36 AM   #6
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

Default Thanks

Interesting product here and this provided some ideas. Thank you.

The problem with camper doorways is that you are going in and out all the time, especially if you are cooking outside. Granted this product opens with a tap of the foot on the bottom bar but I just can't see myself closing it back up 30 times in a day. I wonder if the dogs would be clever enough to nose it open and walk out too.

I knew this would be an interesting problem. I'm even going as far as thinking that I might have to buy a one-piece Coleman camper door, the whole assembly (probably at several hundred dollars) and mounting that frame with velcro or snaps of some sort. Then the door will be on a good frame and hinge, snap shut when closed and be very sturdy. Yes, it'll have to be dismounted upon closing the 2720SD.

In thinking of an alternative, the problem with a sliding door is that the TrailManor has a very uneven wall by several inches. Plus I would have to put a small track on the floor which would not be the worse thing but something to trip over.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:48 AM   #7
klv5920

This is an interesting challenge. And I am sure someone will come up with a workable solution, given time.
I like a good challenge and this will be something to work on during a camp outing!!
Old 05-24-2011, 07:27 AM   #8
camp2canoe

Our dogs have resolved this problem for themselves - the minute we leave the camper they're up on the bed enjoying the three way view. - camp2canoe
Old 05-24-2011, 08:02 AM   #9
klv5920

Logical solution for them!! Mine always manage to outsmart me!!! lol
Old 07-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

Default Screen Door

After we received our 2720SD in the beginning of June 2011, the wife decided the need for a screen door became a lower priority and perhaps not necessary. She was very, very impressed with all the windows and screens allowing a fair amount of air coming through plus the light that fills the dining room area of the trailer was more than she ever imagined. So between the huge amount of light that comes in through the sky lights, the amount of screens than can be opened, we are making a screen door a low priority or even tossing out the idea.

Some day I'll perhaps replace the existing door window with a larger unit with clear but smoked glass.

Thanks all who responded.

-Roger