TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2015, 08:04 AM   #1
agilitynut

Default Opinion on condition of 2720 being considered for purchase

Hi everyone. I am shopping for my first travel trailer and have decided a used TM 2720 best suits my needs. Would appreciate advice on a 2011 2720 that I am considering for purchase. I am not at all trailer-savvy, but have been trying to educate myself as much as possible in order to make a smart purchase.

The owner of this unit has patched a golf ball sized hole on the roof that occurred when a tree branch feel on the trailer. It has been filled with epoxy and I have been assured it does not leak. Is there a better way that this should have been repaired and should it be a concern for purchase? It doesn’t look pretty, but perhaps it is fine.

How often do you need to replace the battery? The battery on this unit is three years old and tires are original, so they are four years old. The bearings have not been repacked in the three years they’ve owned it, so I know that is needed. I’m trying to factor in any expenses that I may incur over the next year.

I made the trip to look at it a couple weeks ago and asked that they leave it closed so we could set it up while there. We ran the AC, hooked it up to a water hose and ran water through the sink faucet, turned on all the lights, rolled out the awning (which does have a tape-repaired rip from the door hitting it, as well as a loose corner on the outer edge), and looked in all the compartments and storage areas. There were several small dings on the roof, which I thought was probably hail, but they don’t recall being hailed on and believed they were just from branches and things falling over time, as they camp in it a lot during the summer. There was one trim piece with a loose edge on the front of the trailer, and a small missing piece on the side (I think it was the 8-10” piece over the support bar). One of the interior cabinets has a small piece of veneer peeled from the back that they said occurred when trying to hang it and not having it positioned right on the hooks. And the bathroom wall that raises up has a bit peeling at the bottom from catching while being raised, and they explained they did it from not being careful and showed me how to avoid that catching in the future. It’s certainly not in perfect condition, but it seems many people consider these issues to be minor in nature. Never having a TT before, I have nothing to compare it to.

The owner seemed forthcoming by pointing out everything except roof dings and missing trim while we were looking at it. They also offered info about things that were hidden from them when they bought it at one year old from Prosser RV - the door didn’t fit right, the roof vents leaked, and the shower fittings weren’t sealed correctly. They threatened to return it and the dealer ended up replacing the door for them and repaired the other two items. Owner says they have been fine since. Prosser did not provide them with the owners manual, so they don’t have one to pass on.

Based on the condition, their original asking price was not something I was willing to consider. They have since come down to $16,350. So, to those of you “in the know” – should any of the items I mentioned be a concern? Again, this would be my first travel trailer purchase, so I am trying to make sure I get a good unit for a fair price. Thank you in advance for any assistance!
agilitynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:32 AM   #2
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Sounds "rode hard and put away wet". Unless you enjoy tinkering anything that unknown and unkempt (wheel bearings are easy compared to other things that may not have been done either).

At four (maybe five) years old both the tires (what size are they ? Any cracks in tread or sidewall ?) and the battery (stock battery seems to have been a grp 24 which may not have been enough when new) is it in the front or the back ?

My thought is that there are probably '06-'07 models around for less money, better shape, and have had tires/battery replaced/upgraded already.

Partcularly for a first trailer I don't think you want something that needs thinking.

BTW what do you plan to pull it with ?
Old 07-09-2015, 10:21 AM   #3
rmHaar

I picked up a 2008 last year for 11K. It has some trim issues but is otherwise fine. I think you could do better than that one. Be prepared to pay asking price though. The one I got had over 60 people look at it in 4 days, if my bank wasnt as quick as it was we may have missed out on it.

Somewhere on here is a checklist for going through a TM before you buy it. I would suggest finding that as well.
rmHaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The things you describe sound minor. You should expect to buy a new battery (3 years is a pretty good run) and new tires within a year.

A lot of folks get excited about the appearance of the roof. I guess I am too short and I can't see it. I don't really care what it looks like as long as it doesn't leak. You should get a firm commitment from the seller that it doesn't leak. But I don't know that there was a better way to repair it. Just to make sure that the epoxy doesn't pull away from the aluminum skin, I might have suggested a well-caulked aluminum patch over the epoxy, riveted into the existing roof. But that is small stuff.

The 8-10 inch missing piece on the side sounds like a pocket stop cover. These are shown in two pictures in my Tech Album at

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...pictureid=1280 and
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...pictureid=1279. If so, these are appearance items. You can buy new ones from the TM Parts Catalog, or leave it off. I am under the impression that TM is not installing them on new trailers any more.

Peeled and chipped veneer inside is an unfortunate fact of life for some of us. It happens for various reasons, but is certainly no more than an appearance item. You need to judge what that is worth to you.

NADAGuides says you might expect to pay $17,600 average retail for a unit with air conditioner and awning. The price will vary a bit depending on other installed options (though none change it much) and location (west coast is a small bit pricier than east). NADAGudies is by no means holy writ, but it sounds like the seller is in the right ball park.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #5
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I'm with Bill. Price sound like it's been adjusted for the minor damage. I'm not sure about the roof repair. I would have cut an aluminum square and epoxy and riveted place.

I would asked them to run the fridge on 120 AC for at least 12 hours before you inspect it. These RV fridges take 12+ hours to get to temp.

3 year old battery could be in great shape if well maintained or about ready to be replaces if not maintained. We get 6-7 years out of our batteries.

I would plan to replace 3 tires for 2 reasons. 1) the tires are 4 to 6 years old. They may have been up to a year old when the camper was built. Many of use follow a 3 to 6 year old rule, which based on the tire date code. I use 4 years. 2) at the time that camper was built. I think was during the 3-4 bad years for Goodyear's ST tries. The factory installed these tires during that period.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:08 PM   #6
agilitynut

Thanks, everyone. I'm really appreciating all the feedback!

Padgett, I'll be towing with a 2014 4WD Honda Pilot.

Bill, yes, that's exactly the trim piece that's missing.

You've all given me things to think about. I was really hoping to have a trailer soon, but want to make sure I get something I won't need to tinker with too much to start. I am one of those people who can confidently do things once shown how, but I don't have a natural inclination for fixing things, so hoping to avoid a unit where much of that would be required at the start. Figure I'll have enough on my hands with being a first-time trailer owner and having never towed anything before.

The owner originally had this one listed at $19K, but don't think they've had much interest and that price was above my budget. The current price is actually still at the very top of my budget, so the purchase of new tires, repacking bearings, and possibly a new battery (at a minimum) will put me above what I want to spend.

Definitely looking forward to owning a TM, but sounds like I might need to bide my time and see what else comes along. I've been keeping tabs on the units for sale here and also doing frequent searches online and have come up with some great prospects, but unfortunately almost all of them have been too far from me (I'm in Missouri and hope to find something within 5-6 hr drive or someone willing to meet within that distance) or they've been an SD model and I am only interested in the SL.

Thanks again to those of you who have responded!
Old 07-09-2015, 01:56 PM   #7
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Well there are several in Florida but Dallas may be closer. Just be aware that 2011 is still in the rapid deprecation. Think the 2009 had all of the improvements (lift, 15" tires,...)
Old 07-09-2015, 11:52 PM   #8
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Default As a price comparison....

I paid $16,500 for mine in July 2013 sight unseen except for lots of pictures, from a dealer in Colorado. Not a TM dealer. I'm not sure they realized what they had as they mostly sold motor homes and this was a trade.

It was in excellent shape except for some minor hail dings on roof that I found after it was delivered to me. I paid $1000 to have it towed to my house, so you might say I really paid $17,500. I was very happy with that price.

I would think $15k would be a better price for that unit based on your description.

What options did it come with? Mine was pretty loaded.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:56 AM   #9
Padgett
TrailManor Master

For some it is best to buy the nicest one they can find. I'm a bit different particularly when entering a new market & also liking "oddballs".

There I look for the best condition for the least money I can find then expect to spend the next year making it the way I want it to be.

Am fortunate in that Florida seems to be an oddball magnet and usually find what I am looking for on Craigslist though Autotrader and RVTrader are also consuted. Will admit that when bought the Vixen I just sent an email to every Florida owner in the roster.

Paid well under ten large for mine (was on the clearance lot at a Camping World so also received all kinds of Good Sam bennies and a free brake controller (which I replaced with a used Prodigy).

Had purchased the heep two years before and one criteria then was the factory towing package despite having little to tow but had already decided that a trailer was going to replace the RV.

And have spent about three large making everything functional (grand to replace the awning, add the solar, rework the DC distribution, replace fasteners with stainless, go to 15" tires, add rear view camera, bluetooth radio, Infotainment center, and now the generator shootout).

Opinion:
1) Trailmanor is the closest starting place to what I want
2) My 2720SL is now close to what I want but still some deficiencies. Can fix.
3) What I really want is a 2922KS modded the same way (and some others) but no rush.
4) Think TM could make profit selling some of my mods as options.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:28 AM   #10
agilitynut

2011 is the newest model I'm considering due to my budget. A 2008-2010 is more in my comfort zone. I do want one in good condition at the start, as I'd have no clue how to fix anything other than take it to an RV shop. I'm a single woman who is very capable of making repairs IF shown how, but I just don't have the natural aptitude for looking at something needing mechanical repair or remodeling and thinking, "Oh, I need to do X." Or if I do look at it and know what it needs, I usually don't know the steps needed to do it myself. Though I've discovered that this forum is a wonder resource for everything Trailmanor, to include repair suggestions, and I fully intend to pay to become a site sponsor once I find "my" TM.

The options on the 2011 I described include
- Rear receiver hitch
- electric tongue jack
- swing away hitch
- low profile AC
- 40 gallon fresh water tank
- microwave drawer
- Sony CD/Radio sound system
- alloy wheels
- Winegard antenna with power boost

Owner was also going to throw in
- new Travasak bedding with extra sheets and cases
- tongue pad
- new jack pads
- wheel chocks
- trailer cover
- leveling system new in box

Based on all your feedback and figuring the cost of new tires, new battery, and getting the bearings repacked, I think this one is more than I want to spend. And while looking at the photos of it again last night I noticed that the stain on the upper kitchen cabinets is different than the lower ones (upper looks cherry, lower looks to be the be lighter stain.) How I didn't notice that when I looked at it in person I'm not sure, but it really makes me wonder why they don't match. Too many questions with this particular unit. I think if I wait for the right one to come along I'll feel more comfortable in the end. I REALLY appreciate everyone's feedback.

I actually just spoke with someone this morning about a newly listed 2008. The salesman is getting the answers to my questions and is supposed to call me back shortly. From the photos it looks VERY clean and the price is much more in my comfort zone. Feeling hopeful, but we'll see what happens.

Thanks everyone!