TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
pauloh

Default Time to pull the toilet...donut thickness?

We've had a slow, intermittent leak from our Thetford toilet, running onto the floor inside. The amount of liquid getting out, when actually leaking, would maybe dampen 5 or 6 paper towels in a day so we lived with it last year on a couple trips. I've operated the slide valve a few times recently as I checked things out for upcoming travel and I think there's more water getting out now, so I guess the time has come to pull the toilet.

I have a new Electra Magic Slide Valve (with a rubber donut on it already) plus a spare donut both ordered last year when I thought I might have to tackle this. As noted elsewhere here, the rubber/foam donut on the slide valve is thinner than the donut ordered separately as a supposed correct replacement. Thick donut (called "Seal - CL. Flange Pkg.") is part #33239, and the replacement "Electra Magic Slide Valve" is part 12836 but the thinner donut there doesn't have its own number.

I've read and will use Bill's toilet tutorial and ShrimpBurrito's comments/photos as well. Am wondering if it's best to compress the thick donut (have DW sit on the toilet while I tighten things down) rather than using the thinner one. I'll compare both to what is installed there now, but if the factory used a thin donut and it now leaks, maybe thicker is better?

While I'm in there, I guess I'll take out the toilet's "skirt" also. Sounds like trouble waiting to happen and we don't travel with the toilet charged.
TV: 2007 Toyota 4Runner, V8, 4x4
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Reese 49586-020 Trunnion WDH
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pauloh is offline   Reply With Quote