TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
daveinfl

Default Water Heater-Another question

Last weekend while we were camping we had no hot water. I tried to fire it up with gas, but it would not light. In trying to check it out today, I noticed the following:

a. I am getting electricity to it.
b. The light on the front counter stays lit. I have tried a reset from the back panel outside and the breaker inside with no joy.
c. After I do a reset it sounds like a relay is going on and off. When the relay goes off the light below on the front counter goes off.
d. If I listen carefully I hear a high pitched squeel while powered. If I turn off the power the high frequency sound stops.

I do have a warranty I bought on my trailer. That's the good news if it needs replaced. The bad news is the deductible is $200.00. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for. If the fix is easy enough, I will do it myself.
daveinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
rumbleweed

Check the inline gas shutoff in the outside access door to make sure it is on. If the WH has not been used for a while, there may be air in the line. Run the stove for a few minutes to clear it and try again. Some times it takes several tries to purge the air from the line to the WH.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
MisterP

When you turn on the propane heater switch, normally you should hear a relay, then a clicking sound from the spark igniter. The squeal is not normal in my opinion. I would open the panel, have someone activate the heater, and see if you are getting a spark in the burner tube. Easier to see in low light. Listen for the squeal - I have a suspicion your gas solenoid may be bad. Had that happen on my fifth wheel after it sat a while. You can get parts through Camping World for many heaters.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

First question - did it ever work?

I've not heard the very quiet squeal, but it is possible that what you are hearing is the inverter circuit that generates the high voltage for the spark igniter. This makes a high-pitched note as it operates, which is perfectly normal.

I agree with both previous suggestions. Make sure that gas is reaching the burner (I think you should be able to smell it from outside), and look for a spark in low light.

Meanwhile check your owner's manual for the water heater. It is in your blue binder, or you can get it online. It tells you, with pictures, how the spark electrode should be positioned with respect to the burner. If the spark is not hitting the gas stream, it will never light until you reposition it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:01 AM   #5
daveinfl

Bill - you might be right. I may be hearing the inverter.

When I turn on the gas I don't hear the relay kick in. I don't hear or see the spark either. But it doesn't work with electricty either. Thinking this is beyond my capability now and going to leave it to the experts. Going to take it in after Thanksgiving. Thanks everyone!
Old 11-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
rumbleweed

Have you tried resetting the over temp protection switches. 2 small black round circles about the size of a nickle . Push each one ( fairly hard) if either clicks, it could mean it tripped on over temp. Then try again.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
daveinfl

Thanks for all the great advice on my water heater. Unfortunately nothing worked. I took it in to LaMesa RV because we don't have a local Trailmanor dealer. Fortunately they were familiar with Trailmanor. They diagnosed the problem as a bad control board. It will be replaced Monday. I'm glad because we are taking our Trailmanor to Virginia next weekend. Hot water is a good thing to have when it is cold :-).

The cost of the repair is about $300.00. They said the water heater itself is OK. Don't know what might have caused it to go out. But then I did buy my 2619 used and you have to expect a couple things.