TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Welcome Mat - Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-25-2023, 08:50 PM   #1
earlfo

Default Hopeful

Hi, I'm Earl.

The hardest part of this process for me seems to be getting access to these trailers so I can determine if I really want one once I have had a chance to experience them in person.

From what I have seen so far, most dealerships have very few models to see. I am hoping to find an RV show that will offer a more well rounded view of these campers.

Any suggestions?
earlfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 09:16 PM   #2
Shane826
TrailManor Master

I doubt you’ll find a dealer or a show with a broad selection, maybe 4 or 5 units max. Best bet is to see what you can see to decide if you dig the concept and then hunt for the size & floorplan you think you’d like.

Or, check out www.tmtrailblazers.org and see if there’s a rally near you. They won’t be brand new models but you could probably get a look at a bunch of different styles and most owners are more than happy to talk about their camper.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 09:23 PM   #3
earlfo

Thank you.
Old 07-26-2023, 06:55 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

MCD on Cape Cod is a past dealer who now limits themselves to repairs. Although they do not stock new TMs, they generally have several on the lot in the process of repair. Depending on where you are in CT, it is not a bad drive, and I bet if you called them you could arrange a time when they would give you a short tour of one of them. Emphasis on short - they are very busy and they know you won't buying one from them. But they might be willing to do a quick introduction, and then let you do a self-guided tour through one.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 07:01 AM   #5
earlfo

Thanks Bill. I saw them on the list of dealers and noted they only do repairs now. It looks like the closest new TM dealers are in Maine and Pennsylvania.

A long ride to maybe see one model and then decide from that which model actually suits me. $40 grand is no small amount of money to spend on something sight unseen...
Old 07-26-2023, 08:24 AM   #6
rich2468
Site Sponsor

Earl,
I bought a new TrailManor three years ago with no prior camper/ camping trailer experience and having never seen a TrailManor up-close prior.

We had decided that we wanted a camping trailer (which would comfortably hold 2 adults and 2 kids) that could be towed behind a SUV which would spend 90 percent of its time as an around town shuttle vehicle. (So our tow vehicle had to be large enough to just hold us, kids, and their friends for a short time....and also pull a camping trailer when needed.)

Our TrailManor 2922KB has met our needs as a camping trailer which is fairly easy to tow with our midsize SUV, is comfortable, and is self-contained (we don't have to worry about midnight trips to campground bathrooms).

The TrailManor does require a certain amount of set up and breakdown that comes with the design. Depending upon how comfortable or how Spartan your camping style is- that additional physical setup and breakdown time (which is unique to the collapsing upper walls) can vary hugely. Many owners state that the additional setup/ teardown means that they don't view their TrailManors as an overnight camping option and that a three night stay is a reasonable length for the amount of setup required. Many of the setup/teardown items are in common with other camping trailers; while others are unique to TM's.

I've camped with "the guys" and think I can setup and breakdown our TrailManor in just over 30 minutes. When my wife is along; she swears it takes three times that long...but she also wants to stretch the "camping experience" and sit by a campfire roasting S'mores until 10pm the night before leaving camp.

I'd suggest trying to make your decision this way (adjusting based upon your needs):
1. Tow vehicle- do you already have a tow vehicle which will tow all sizes of TrailManors, or will that be a constraint? Don't just factor dry weight; realize you will likely carry hundreds of pounds of additional gear.
2. Number of beds needed and is a king bed a requirement for you (the king bed models also offer additional rear storage space)
3. Camping style- are you more likely to camp with full hookups or are you likely to boondock/ dry camp. Slider models (with the expanding front section) have smaller, 20 gal, freshwater holding tanks which will limit camping time without hookups.
4. Will you be happy with the TrailManor design? The breakdown walls make towing much easier, but come at the cost of always taking additional time with setup and teardown. They also make customizing the camper require out-of-the box thinking.

Considered the above and reach out to members of the forum who are in your general geographic area. Most TrailManor owners are happy to share the unique design features of their campers and I think also share the design shortcomings. Once you've seen one close-up, I think you'll have more peace in deciding if it's worth it to make a trip to a dealership to see current model year TrailManors.

Rich and Lynn
2021 2922KB

420Ah LiFePO4 battery bank, kilowatt solar, 3K Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter, DC-to-DC Charger, Sealand 711-M28 toilet, Maxxis 8008 Load Rated E
rich2468 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 09:01 AM   #7
earlfo

Thanks Rich,

I am considering this trailer for working as I travel. I am not quite old enough or wealthy enough to fully retire so I need to work. My work allows me to work from home, so I am looking for a trailer comfortable enough to work inside of 8 hours a day when necessary. When the weather is nice, I can set up in a screened in canopy outside as well.

I want to bring my motorcycle along, so I am planning on purchasing a Ford Transit van for towing and put my bike in the back of the van.

My main concern is my workspace inside the camper for comfort to sit for 8 hours really. I need to get inside the camper and decide if the dinette or couch makes more sense for that. I am probably going to get the largest TrailManor available which I believe is the 3124 series right now. I like the fact that it is under 25 feet when towing so I can get into most National parks and stay overnight. I also like that it folds down and is light for easier towing. I grew up setting up pop-up campers with my family, and have no problem with some set up and take down time.
Old 07-26-2023, 10:31 AM   #8
rich2468
Site Sponsor

Last Spring I traveled with my brother on a 10 day trip. We used his extended AWD Sprinter van as the tow vehicle for the trip which allowed bringing along a motorized inflatable dingy and having plenty of extra space for toys and supplies.

With his Sprinter there was no need for using a Weight Distribution Hitch and we barely knew my 2922KB was in tow. Backing into campsites was super easy, because the Sprinter was so much higher than the TM. We didn't even bother using my TrailManor's (owner installed) add-on backup camera.

I don't think my 2922KB's dinette table would make a great work space if something dedicated is required (with multiple monitors). The dinette space is fairly tight (the bench seating area) and the cushion material would not be comfortable for sitting that length of time.

A slider model might work better in that scenario, but you lose some boondocking abilities with them.

-One additional thought: if your work includes being on phone/ video call, you will want to be inside a TrailManor with the Air Conditioner running. A loud camper heater can be mitigated by space heater use (when external electric is available), but there are few ways to mitigate the camper's Air Conditioner noise, which I consider quite loud.

Rich and Lynn
2021 2922KB

420Ah LiFePO4 battery bank, kilowatt solar, 3K Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter, DC-to-DC Charger, Sealand 711-M28 toilet, Maxxis 8008 Load Rated E
rich2468 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 08:05 AM   #9
Sharon Jones
Site Sponsor

We are in Connecticut and my TM is up and opened in the driveway as we prepare for a trip to Canada. We own a 2007 2619 if you want to take a look.
Sharon Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 08:16 AM   #10
earlfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2468 View Post
A slider model might work better in that scenario, but you lose some boondocking abilities with them.

-One additional thought: if your work includes being on phone/ video call, you will want to be inside a TrailManor with the Air Conditioner running. A loud camper heater can be mitigated by space heater use (when external electric is available), but there are few ways to mitigate the camper's Air Conditioner noise, which I consider quite loud.
Why would I lose boondocking capabilities?

Are there alternative AC units that can be installed which may be quieter?