TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-17-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
markandanne

Question Need a Chicago area campground recommendation

Planning out our trip from CO>MD>NC>CO this summer. Want to take a break halfway on our way out and treat our 3 girls to a day at American Girl Place in Chicago. Any recommendations for a campground in the Chicago area? I've seen the following mentioned on the forum: Chicago Northwest KOA in Union, Illinois Beach State Park in Zion, and the Burnidge/Paul Wolff or Buffalo Park Forest Preserves in Kane County.

Any other options? Anything roughly along I-80 to save us time getting back on our route the following day? Other helpful information is which, if any, are more accessible to commuter rail/metro for getting into downtown Chicago?

Thanks in advance for any advice/info.
Anne
Old 03-20-2008, 08:39 AM   #2
Lloyd51

I live in chicago and we go to Illinois state beach at least 3 times a year. I really like the campground. The only problem for you is that it is not near I80. But it is very near the metra station. The town that is near the state park has a free trolly that goes into the state park and you can get a ride to the metra station from that. They dont have full hookups there only electric. If you have any other ? I will help you anyway I can. Good luck with your trip.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
markandanne

Question Indiana Dunes?

We were wondering about Indiana Dunes State Park? Looks like it's pretty nice. Have you ever been there or know anything about it? It certainly looks like it would make for a convenient stop along I-80, even if we'd have to backtrack a little to spend the day in Chicago.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #4
Lloyd51

Sorry I have never been to indiana dunes state park. I also have no idea if they have public transportation to chicago from there.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
dmed22

I have hiked through the Indiana Dunes many times, although have never camped there. The South Shore RR has a stop right there, and it runs straight into downtown Chicago. Less than an hour ride, I have taken it several times. There is a campground right on I80, in Tinley Park Il caled Windy City Campground. Tinley Park is just SW of Chicago. It might be noisy as it is on 80. Right now they do not look open, I believe the land might be for sale. Google them and call. If they are open, you can take the Rock Island Train into Chicago. The American Girl store should be fun for your kids, my wife and daughter have shoped there in the past. Have fun.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:01 AM   #6
jlgrafix

We like Jellystone - Millbrook.

It's a little expensive, but it's a really nice park. We like it for opening the camper since we live only 35 mins from it :-)

They have a lot of activities for the kids.

http://www.jellystonechicago.com

It's close to 80 but it will take you a little under an hour to get downtown from there. You could also drive into joliet to take the train.

Windy city is gone. There is another one just outside New Lenox, it is right on 80, I pass it all the time, but can't remember the name. Though it looks pretty dumpy and would be noisy.

Jen
Old 06-07-2008, 09:09 PM   #7
markandanne

We opted for Indiana Dunes State Park campground, and we were not disappointed. It is a very nice place, with campsites in the woods that are not too jammed up against one another (electric only, but with the 40 gal tank that's not an issue). It was quiet, and had great hiking trails straight from the campground across the dunes for the kids to explore. Our campsite to the train station was literally 10 minutes drive; it made a great way to take the family into Chicago for the day. But I would recommend this campground, especially for the $17 a night price.

Maybe the only downside was that the bathrooms were sandy and the staff opted to clean them at 8 am when people were trying to take showers.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:52 AM   #8
Queeniereads

We stayed in the KOA out near Union 3 years ago. Very clean and well patrolled. We had to pay for a guest to visit us for an hour, but there is a very nice steakhouse next door if I remember correctly. Yes, hubby says he remembers it that way also. Queen
Old 06-09-2008, 06:52 AM   #9
sharoden

Default Campground

Straved Rock State Park in also a great place to stay.