TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-26-2015, 07:10 PM   #71
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Smile

Drive on your roof?

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:36 PM   #72
stormpeakco

Default F/U on the RVrearviewcamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaboy View Post
Look forward to your experience. If the router works in the back of the tv and the 12 volt sockets are live when the TM is closed ( assuming one can access the rear one with the bathroom walls folded down) then the system would work handily-if only it were a bit cheaper.
Good luck, keep us posted.

Sorry for the delay.
Rear View Camera, F/U for Moaboy, BaileysMom and others.
The system from rvrearviewcamera.com works well (in the garage, as we have yet to take our first BIG-spring sojourn). We did the test set up in the house before spray painting the camera black (to help reduce {?} w/ tampering/appears a little more obscure when placed on our '15 2720 QB silver trail w/ black AC shroud).

The Sharx camera is mounted to the rear of the AC shroud (2 small drill holes) jury rigged to square electrical cover plates found at any hardware store attached like a "clamshell" over the AC grill and powered from the TM batteries via 24' of decently insulated battery tender cable (18 awg) with the proprietary "quick disconnect" connections to the "battery tender" pigtail-tongue battery box (used to float charge the batteries with a battery tender when in covered storage-when solar is unavailable. Didn't wish to drill into the skin/roof, splice into TM roof top running lights nor have to run vehicle lights to power the camera). Voltage testing the long cable when attached to the fully charged tongue batteries was 13.5 V. If and when the AC shroud needs to be removed the simple push-pull 2.1mm barrel plug will disconnect the system and removing the shroud may be done as usual. Mounting the camera (to the AC shroud) and running the cable underneath and only fastened to the anterior half of the TM avoids issue with cable 'snag' as the coach is articulated open. May be operational with battery booster-jumper for the router in the car when the ignition is off or by bringing the router into the coach to view when boondocking (if desired). While monitoring traffic from behind it will be reassuring to view the spendy bikes on the back of the TM with the dealer installed, 150# rated, bike hitch receiver.

The Netgear router is velcro mounted to the interior of the right side, just inside the hatch tailgate of our Durango and powered via the included 12V cable to the cigarette lighter receptacle (8' from router to phone and 17' from camera to router and thus far, the smaller antenna works just as well as the included larger antenna).
When the router is initially powered, it seems to require 1-2 mins before there is an available network signal for signal reception-transmission to our basic, 2-year old, android based smart phone (Motorola mini). One time, we needed to re-install the app on the smart phone but it seems pretty cool but have yet to use it on a moving vehicle and a sea of Wi-Fi (analog and digital) signals on a busy highway.

The phone (monitor) is placed into temporary dash mount (similar to a Garmin GPS sand bag dash mount).
The included "step by step" instructions (not lengthy) & individualized password are well thought out that a kid may follow and Fred Stokes seems very available (answers inquiries in under a day-seems to check his e-mail on weekends). Remarkable, this is a digital-wireless system w/night IR that may be installed by a "less-techy Joe or Jane" sans professional installation or expensive accouterments (beyond the cost of the kit, which isn't cheap but is half the price of the a voyager). Reminds, me that we didn't check audio and/or can't recall if audio is available for two person docking once at a destination.

Lastly, for the last 7 wks I have been unable to sign in to the forum and until very recently, have failed to receive feedback from the forum administrators and could only do so by using a second temporary UN and U email address.
I have learned a great deal from many other forum participants and hope my few contributions have been helpful. There are some real qualified experts contributing to the beauty of this forum and miss the interaction with those well versed. I have been participating on other RV forums which seem less technically quirky but wanted to get back to the interested parties on this thread with some follow up.
Thank you and good luck....back to Moab for some mtbg before it gets way too hot. Dave
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:46 PM   #73
stormpeakco

Default Highway and in town use-no issues

"The system from rvrearviewcamera.com works well (in the garage, as we have yet to take our first BIG-spring sojourn). "
__________________________________________________ _____________
We have used it on a recent trip and no interference with other analog/digital signals on the highway (other truck rear cameras) or in town and with the router inside the TV...as crystal clear video with the small camera antenna (as the demonstration video on youtube)...may contact the vendors to add the audio but w/o seems great for now. Dave
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:44 AM   #74
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Have been looking for a lower cost alternative that has the extra range needed and think I have found it in this transmitter and this camera.

Note: the transmitter is apparently now this.

Camera is on rear of TM and displaying on my cell phone. Does not interfere with the wireless back up camera on my TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bucwifi.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	11979  
Old 07-24-2015, 05:52 PM   #75
inghamm
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
Have been looking for a lower cost alternative that has the extra range needed and think I have found it in this transmitter and this camera.

Note: the transmitter is apparently now this.

Camera is on rear of TM and displaying on my cell phone. Does not interfere with the wireless back up camera on my TV.
That's the same transmitter I got. A little experimentation and help from my wife and we found the best WiFi signal was with the transmitter mounted on the side on the top back corner. I've been pretty happy with it. About a second delay most of the time. One time the picture froze altogether and I turned the viewing program off, checked the WiFi and restarted the viewing program and it was fine.

I got a different camera but the reviews said it wasn't waterproof. Just got our first rain in weeks, so I'll see if it works. I wanted something with not so much wide angle so I could see back farther.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1646.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	11980   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1647.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	11981   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1648.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	11982  

TM: 2007 2720 (QB) TV: 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Hopkins INSIGHT brake controller, Andersen No-Sway WDH
CARCHET Solar Powered TMPS
Dometic CRX-1110 AC/DC Compressor Fridge, 200 W Solar
inghamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:16 PM   #76
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Will post more when I have a more permanent (neater) install but I used a 6" antenna from a WiFi receiver and it is attatched to one of the solar panels on the driver's side so not behind the AC.

Have a car show tomorrow but plan to try with the stock stub antenna Monday or Tuesday. Also have a $40 7" Android tab coming in so can dedicate it to the BUC.

Is backed into the grotto so not much of a view but camera is just taped in place.

Have you found a way to flip the image ? On the dash screen it is upside down & have not found a way with the software.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:37 PM   #77
inghamm
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Will post more when I have a more permanent (neater) install but I used a 6" antenna from a WiFi receiver and it is attatched to one of the solar panels on the driver's side so not behind the AC.

Have a car show tomorrow but plan to try with the stock stub antenna Monday or Tuesday. Also have a $40 7" Android tab coming in so can dedicate it to the BUC.

Is backed into the grotto so not much of a view but camera is just taped in place.

Have you found a way to flip the image ? On the dash screen it is upside down & have not found a way with the software.
That's a smart idea to get around the AC and add a bigger antenna. That's substantially better than my set-up, and mine works great, so you should be quite good.

I didn't figure out any way to modify the picture with the viewer software. My camera didn't come before our first trip so I jury-rigged a security cam on the back of the TM. That worked fine, and I might have just kept that set-up, except the security cam was not set up to be rear view, so it's right was my left. A little unnerving when you would see in the monitor a truck passing you on the right when you were already in the right hand lane, but then it would actually be on the left.

Maybe you could set the android tab to not auto rotate and flip it around. Otherwise you might have to flip the camera.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:13 PM   #78
Padgett
TrailManor Master

On mine right is right and left is left as long as I use my cell phone but on the dash 7" it is upside down. So am getting a second 7" display (Android Tab with WiFi and 1280x800 screen for under $40.)

Makes the total a hair over $100 retail.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:39 AM   #79
inghamm
Site Sponsor

Quote:
On mine right is right and left is left as long as I use my cell phone but on the dash 7" it is upside down. So am getting a second 7" display (Android Tab with WiFi and 1280x800 screen for under $40.)

Makes the total a hair over $100 retail.
I considered getting that $40 android tab also, so I'll be interested in hearing your results, and how you mounted it.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:11 AM   #80
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Travelling to SnF the camera worked great, the tab not so. Display on cheap tab could not cope with Florida sunshine even with hood. Could only really see when stopped. When I did see at stop lights was a bit unnerving to see how close the guy behind came.

But camera and wireless transmitter worked very well.