TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-01-2015, 08:53 PM   #61
stormpeakco

Default wifi hotspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey'sMom View Post
I agree the price is pretty steep. Because I do travel solo it would be very handy for backing into campsite, and of course seeing traffic on the road. But if I can't use it without a smartphone then I would not even consider it because I refuse to pay that much each month for a smartphone. I did submit a question to the company asking if it could be used with a wifi only iPad. Haven't heard back yet.
Disclaimer: I'm painfully inept as a techy... but I'm not entirely sure that a monthly cell carrier service is required (Verizon and the (un)like(d)) if the device, purchased is "unlocked". This rear view system, as I understand (or mis), establishes a wireless hot spot (or wireless local access network) encompassing your TM-TV and the immediate surrounding area of 20 meters and utilizes 2.4 Ghz wireless frequency to link the camera, router and smartphone (which here, functions only as a monitor) under the 802.11 N specifications.

Additionally, when collapsing our TM, the shower stall covers easy access to the rear 12V receptacle (this was pointed out to me by wingedryder-thank you and confirmed visually when we picked up our new TM at the dealer). I'm not sure about the physical space (when collapsing the TM) for the anterior one, in front of the frig)...so some creative wiring adapters with a short right angle male 12V plug extensions may be required.
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:46 AM   #62
stormpeakco

Default Follow up-Application is included

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey'sMom View Post
My question would be where would you into 12v at the front of the TM? What would be inside the TM and have live 12v while shells are down for travel?

Looks pretty cool though. A review on amazon stated that you also need to have an app for it that cost $9.99. My issue is I don't have a smartphone. Wonder if an iPad would work.
Follow up-According to Fred Stokes (I'm pretty sure is the fella featured in the youtube video towing an Airstream), the app (at least for the android based O.S.) is included with purchase price and the Sharx camera (reportedly 1080p) is modified by an engineer for their (also based in Derry, NH) resale in the kit (we're likely going to purchase a system later this month unless we find a viable alternative).
Old 04-04-2015, 08:58 AM   #63
moaboy

That is a great idea if it would work, putting the router in the rear of the tv where there usually is a 12 v plug. Plus it is more accessible. Would that set up work?
Old 04-04-2015, 12:23 PM   #64
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

I also emailed the company about using iPad and this is what they said.

Thank you for your interest in our system. To date we have only tested it on some older iPads and they did not work satisfactorily. The processor speed was simply too slow. I have a friend who has an iPad Air 2 and we're going to try it over the next few days to see if we can get it to work. I'll be glad to get back with you to let you know the results. Thanks,
Fred Stokes

I was asking because I don't have a smartphone. I will let you know what I hear back on testing with newer iPads.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #65
stormpeakco

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaboy View Post
That is a great idea if it would work, putting the router in the rear of the tv where there usually is a 12 v plug. Plus it is more accessible. Would that set up work?

Moaboy,
Discussion with Fred (email)-the router in the TV should work since source-router (17-21') and router-monitor distances (6-8') are less than on his 30' airstream (w/router in the front cabinet of his TT. AND the camera wireless signal only needs to penetrate our TV shell vs. his camera's signal must penetrate airstream shell and the router signal must penetrate airstream & TV shell).

Some TMOs have stated their 12V receptacles are not active when the TM is collapsed. Not wanting to pass on factoids, I rechecked both 12V cigarette lighter receptacles are live ('15-2720 w/o shore power, w/o shower stall assembly & w/o Bargman connected). Should the router in the TV not work well then placing the router in the front cabinet and plugged into the front 12V rec is a fall back (w/ the front bed-2720QB slid back, there is still about 1-1.25" of room to place a short stubby right angle 12V plug w/2.1mm barrel-available on ebay. WingedRyder-not sure these will provide access to the one covered by the closed shower stall-but I'll let you know after they arrive).

Bailey's Mom, good luck with the ipad option (technology names-ipad air2 sounds more like a queen size pillow top mattress). Hope to buy/install one of their (should be obvious-but I have no financial or personal alliance with this firm) set ups later in the month when we get back from visiting friends/family.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:42 PM   #66
moaboy

Look forward to your experience. If the router works in the back of the tv and the 12 volt sockets are live when the TM is closed ( assuming one can access the rear one with the bathroom walls folded down) then the system would work handily-if only it were a bit cheaper.
Good luck, keep us posted.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:04 PM   #67
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormpeakco View Post
Follow up-According to Fred Stokes (I'm pretty sure is the fella featured in the youtube video towing an Airstream), the app (at least for the android based O.S.) is included with purchase price and the Sharx camera (reportedly 1080p) is modified by an engineer for their (also based in Derry, NH) resale in the kit (we're likely going to purchase a system later this month unless we find a viable alternative).
I have 2 Sharx cameras at my home -- one indoors and one outdoors. They are both excellent, and their customer service is top-notch. Highly recommended product and company.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:04 PM   #68
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Power at the front when the TM is closed? I can think of a couple options.

1. Pick up power from one of the front running lights, like one of those above and to the left or right of the front window. Yes, you have to turn on the running lights to get power for the device, but that doesn't seem too hard.

2. Pick up power from one of the front reading lamps inside. If you leave the rotary switch in the vent housing in the ON position, it will send power to the light fixtures, and you can still turn the reading light on and off with its own switch. You have to run a wire from the light socket to the final location. But it seems a cleaner installation overall, if the wire is run inside the overhead cabinet.

Just some thoughts. There may be others.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:58 AM   #69
stormpeakco

Default Good options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Power at the front when the TM is closed? I can think of a couple options.

1. Pick up power from one of the front running lights, like one of those above and to the left or right of the front window. Yes, you have to turn on the running lights to get power for the device, but that doesn't seem too hard.

2. Pick up power from one of the front reading lamps inside. If you leave the rotary switch in the vent housing in the ON position, it will send power to the light fixtures, and you can still turn the reading light on and off with its own switch. You have to run a wire from the light socket to the final location. But it seems a cleaner installation overall, if the wire is run inside the overhead cabinet.

Just some thoughts. There may be others.

Bill
Bill, thanks. Those sound like two great options. For me (my formal name only has one letter e in it and it isn't for electrician) if I'm going to install (sans pro/$/help) I'm going to try and keep it simple. I'm still likin' the router in the TV (removable-velcro/power. Besides those small forward cabinets are barely large enough to hold a kindle/reading specs.).

The placement and mount of the camera (~6 1/4" tall if horizontal) seems to be more of a question (perm v. temporary-velcro). The IR fails through rear glass...the headlight glare (don't plan to drive at night, wildlife-deer-elk-moose here are abundant) if placed low on the license plate frame or bumper is limiting. Clearly want to avoid drilling into the skin/roof (and have sent an e-mail to TM/Cleo and installers) but my most current thought is drilling/silicone into the back vertical end-plastic/fiberglass pedestal beneath the Coleman/Mach where the camera would be partially sheltered from wind/weather/tampering. other thoughts?

The camera current draw is under an amp and 16 awg battery tender cable with quick disconnect connections all the way (following the accessory solar panel wiring from the roof), underneath to the tongue battery pigtail w/o obligatory headlight use (~remote stretches of I-80/daylight) would provide quick disconnect to fold up or fold down the TM.

Shrimp B, thanks. The Sharx cameras sound terrific (by others as well).
Moaboy, will let you how it goes (purchased yesterday but will be away for a bit).
Old 04-26-2015, 06:58 PM   #70
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Latest in my saga: the standard wireless rear view camera I mounted on the TM license plate does not put out a strong enough signal (picture is erratic at best).

Latest lo-cost attempt uses a 802W WiFi transmitter ( from Amazon).

This has several advantages:
- does not interfer with my normal back up camera
- can display on either cell phone or 7" dash display
- Antenna is remote from the camera so can either put at side or on top of TM.
- Getting taillight power seems to work well, just run with cleanance lights on.

In tests tonighthad transmitter in great room about 50 feet from car in garage and through a couple of walls and worked well.

Only issue is image is upside down on dash display.