TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2018, 08:26 PM   #11
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

I am using the 550 pound bars, trailer is a 3023, tow vehicle is a Jeep Grand Cherokee. These work fine. If you have 1000 pound bars, they will have three dots, see this, the 550 pound bars have one dot.

Here is your manual. I don't see where it says the bars should be level. It might be that on top of their being 1000 pound bars, you have overtensioned them.

Back off several links of chain and try it that way. Unfortunately this will make the bars more likely to drag when you go over a dip. But hopefully not too bad.

If the bars are biting you while you install or remove them, then with the coupler and hitch locked together, raise them on the trailer jack. This will de-tension the chains and make them very easy to put on and take off. No more band-aids and no need for force on the wrench. This is easier with an electric jack. You must have the hitch locked to the vehicle while doing this, so that the trailer doesn't roll and bend the jack. And obviously this should be lifting the rear of the tow vehicle on the springs and shocks, not ever coming close to lifting the tires off of the ground, or you will be beyond the specs of the jack, the A-frame and coupler.

Note that Blue Ox bars are not safe if they are completely untensioned while operating. The tension keeps them in the socket, and gravity if you're going slow. I wouldn't want them flying around next to the gas canisters. The button is a safeguard or an installation aid but doesn't hold as well as tension on the bar.

Although your Blue Ox is big and heavy and that silly button is poorly designed (it should be captive), it actually works. I am dubious that some of the other WDH units on the market work at all, and most of them are even more awkward to connect and disconnect. I am dubious about the effect of the Andersen in particular. The lever arm is between the center of the hitch ball and where the chains connect - this seems way too short.

My Goodyear Endurance tires say "80 PSI" on the sidewall, in two-inch tall letters, as if it is important. So, I run them at 80 PSI. I think they drop from load-rating E to D if you run them at a lower pressure. I figure that my rubber axle is the shock absorber and my tires are not meant to be the shock absorbers. We are not seeing vibration damage.

Tags
bounce, wdh