TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-26-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
jandcandmandh

Default Too many blow outs

I have a 2005 2720 and have had 2 blow outs in the past 2 years. The plumbing had to be replaced both times. We drive at 60 and check tire pressure often. We are very careful with weight. I sure wish the smaller TM had 2 axles. Help! What is the best fix?

Jack
Old 05-26-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandcandmandh View Post
I have a 2005 2720 and have had 2 blow outs in the past 2 years. The plumbing had to be replaced both times. We drive at 60 and check tire pressure often. We are very careful with weight. I sure wish the smaller TM had 2 axles. Help! What is the best fix?
What ever you do regarding the tires/wheels, I would suggest a tire pressure monitoring system. With a TPMS you have a better chance of knowing that a tire is losing air before the blow out happens. My tire failures have occurred because a bit of the tread layer came off. The TPMS alerted me that something was wrong and I was able to pull over before a blow out happened.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandcandmandh View Post

Jack
One choice would be to install the 15" tires and heavier duty axle, but that seems like overkill unless your trailer is overloaded (checking weights at a truck scale is always a good idea).

I think that I would just insist on load range D tires instead of the C's that are theoretically adequate. If you check out the tires section of the Technical Discussion Forum you'll find lots of other people who have been working on this issue. I'm also a fan of keeping tire pressures at the maximum rated pressure printed on the sidewall to improve gas mileage, reduce sidewall flex, and obtain maximum rated load.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:48 PM   #4
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Lightbulb two replies--

first, Bill has a really nice wheel-well mod to line it with aluminum and protect the sewer lines from being wrecked. Search for it, and THAT problem should be over.

But, there's several tire-related facts which lead me to disagree with Mr. Adventure-- I don't think that there's been any cases of unprovoked blow-out documented on this board in a 2619/2720 running 15" tires, they've all occurred on 14". I can think of no rational explanation except for the idea that the 14" are running too close to their limits, for both abusive and by-the-book travel. 15" folk like UtahSue and I certainly take our TM's on bad-enough roads, and I like to cruise 70+ MPH, keeping pace with the sedan traffic, wherever the law allows more than 55 (e.g., Nevada yes, California no.)

There is a load-range D Kumho 14" tire at "tire rack", some people like it a lot. It's very slightly wider than the Marathons, fits OK. "205/R14C Load range D 8 PR 857 tubeless Radial"
205R14C 109/107 Q
Radial Tubeless
Plies Tread 2 Steel +2 Polyester
Sidewall 2 Polyester
Max load single 2271 lbs / Duel 2150 lbs both at 65 psi (although you'd want to tune your PSI to loading and planned speeds, not run-em rock hard all the time.)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=Radial+857

But a couple of TM'ers have said that it's easy to upgrade just the wheels and tires to 15", staying with the same bolt pattern on just the smaller "light" axle hubs. No rubbing occurs, although some clearances are a bit tighter. As long as you already have or can easily add a lift kit (I don't know if the 2005 allows for bolt-on, or requires welding), and as long as you you've got about 3-1/2" to spare under the garage door (2" lift kit, 1" wheel rims, 1/2" taller tires), you can do this-- with no new axle.

Look here: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6870
Old 05-27-2008, 06:03 AM   #5
Frenchy
Site Sponsor

I post this every so often.
I have used light truck tires on my TM for over four years. I had two blowouts with ST tires before I changed. I bought Cooper tires last time. The dealer said they were a commercial type light truck tire. They were 195R14C, Load Range D 106/104Q with a load rating of 2095 lbs at 65 PSIG. I keep them at 65 PSIG. They are not TT tires however but I have had no problem with them. Ive had them for over four years. They fit and worked very well on my 98 3023 while on four extended trips. One trip to Grand Teton NP (4,500 miles) from southern Indiana. One trip to Alaska (10,000 miles) from southern Indiana. One trip to Carlsbad Caverns (4,000 miles) from southern Indiana. One trip to Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Arches, Mesa Verde (5,000 miles) from southern Indiana. Another trip to Yellowstone (5000 miles). I believe it is very important to have your TM tires balanced and to weigh your TM every time before you take a long trip. I keep the weight on the tires to less than 3700 pounds so the axle rating of 3500 pounds is not exceeded. I never had a problem with the LT tires.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
PopBeavers

What am I doing differently that I do not have any problems, yet?

We bought our TM 2720 in April 2005. We have perhaps 20 trips of about 400 miles each. I check the air pressure when we leave home and just visually inspect it when we drive home a few days later.

I tow 55 to 62 mph.