TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-10-2003, 11:52 AM   #1
red_apache

Default Blow out question

We will be picking up our new 2004 2619 from Custom RV in the first part of Aug. I have been reading all I can on the site to educate myself.  This will be our first RV of any kind.
I'm wondering about all the tire blow outs I have read about on this site ?  I haven't had a flat tire in so long I can't even remember the last one, as far as a blow out, the last one I had was about 40 years ago, early 60's on a trip back from Reno, Nev.  Tire technolgy has improved tremendously in the last 20 years, Sooo... What gives with all the blow outs ? I don't see how it can be weight, as the tow vehicles,in most cases, weigh more than the trailers
and their tire aren't blowing out ??  Is this something I need to be concerned about ?
Do I need to put different tires on my 2619 right after I get it home ?

Thanks for any suggestions

Jack & Gayle Hall
Old 07-10-2003, 12:08 PM   #2
MHofAlabama

Default Re: Blow out question

I'm new to the TM Owner's page. First comment. We bought our 27/20 in 1997. Had a blowout in '99 on the original Dico tires. Got new Carlisle tires and took it all over Alaska in 2000 with no blowouts. In '01 we had a blowout and a bad tire and swapped for 2 new Carlisles. With only about 5000 miles on the last Carlisle's we blew out both of them plus another original Dico a few weeks ago returning from a long trip. I gather the Carlisle tires were a large part of the problem. However, the highways were terrible. Actually rougher than Alaska. I40 had bad areas and the Indian Turnpike between I40 and Tulsa was a killer. I suspect that this put great stress on the sidewalls. I am anxious to hear other comments. We have 3 new Goodyear Marathons, but don't know if they can stand the rough up and down--especially old concrete highways.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:09 PM   #3
Larry_Loo

red_apache, your 2004 TrailManor should be equipped with Goodyear Marathon tires. The TM factory switched over to these tires from Carlisle tires after the latter developed a history of being blow-out prone.

You should not have any significant problems with the factory-equipped tires. Remember, however, that proper tire inflation is essential to minimize the risk of blow-outs. Purchase a good tire gauge and check your tires before every trip and at intervals during the trip.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:15 PM   #4
red_apache

Thanks for the quick response!
Now I have to ask, Why didn't your tow vehicles tires blow out ? They were subjected to the same conditions, and I'll bet your tow vehicle out weighs
your trailer ?  Something isn't adding up to me ?

Jack Hall
Old 07-10-2003, 02:11 PM   #5
Windbreaker

Most trailer blow outs are due to over loading, I'm not saying anyone did it is just a fact. MHoAlabama had the bad luck to have poor tires, I do not know of anyone that has had a blowout on the goodyears. Watch your pressure and your weight and you will be ok.

The reason trailer tires blow more often is because they sit in storage, lots even in the sun for long periods of time without movement. The sun's uv breaks down the rubber and without movement to keep the limber they crack, your car's tires will do the same. Park it for the better part of the year and see what they look like at the end of the year. By then your motor most likely will have rusted also.  :'( When things that were built to move don't they break. Have you ever heard use it or loose it. Same thing.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:40 AM   #6
rambro

Within 14 months of purchase I had one blowout and one tread separation incident with the Goodyear Marathon tires that came on my 2005 Trailmanor 2619. In both cases I had checked the cold tire pressure less than 24 hours before losing the tire. Has anyone tried running load range "D" tires rather than the load range "C" tires that come from the factory?
Rick in Alabama
Old 09-20-2006, 09:11 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Rambro -

I have had the same two incidents you describe. Others have, as well. There has been an incredible amount of discussion on the topic of Load Range "C" vs Load Range "D" tires on this board. I'm not sure there have been any soliod experienced-based conclusions, since the discussion always comes down to whether a "D" tire will physically fit in the wheel well, among other questions.

The discussion is far too much to repeat here. I suggest you get registered as a Trial Member or a Sponsor, and then use the Advanced Search tool to find it and review it.

Here's a thread to get you started.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=4308

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:41 PM   #8
Doug W.

I am glad I found a good deal on a 3124KS as we were looking for a 2720SL. It has the load range D tires. I keep hearing people say they are only rated to 65 MPH. That is true of the smaller trailers with the load range C tires. You are operating at the upper load limit, so you need to run them at max inflation. On the Goodyear site they have the recommended inflation based on load. For my trailer that is 55 PSI. I also found a document that says you can tow at 66 MPH to 75 MPH provided the you can put an additonal 10PSI in the tires cold without going above the tire's maximum. I inflate to 65 PSI, so I should be good to 75 MPH. Here is the second document: http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/marat...%2075%20MPH%22 .
Old 09-21-2006, 12:07 AM   #9
pbuck1

Just to correct a point of Doug's. The document states that for the increased speed range, you can increase pressure up to the max inflation for the WHEEL (not the tire). The document also states that you can increase pressure up to 10psi above the pressure required for the load. This would include the pressure for the max load, which means that you can inflate a load C tire to 60lbs/sq in. at max load.
Problem is, my wheel does not state a maximum pressure (nor do the tires for that matter), only a max load.

I think I must have examined all the trailer tire failure data on this site (and a lot of data on other rv sites, too). My analysis indicates the following:
1. If you buy a Carlisle tire, it will likely fail.
2. For any other brand of tire (including Goodyear Marathon) if you stray outside the load/inflation (and especially age) specifications, the tire will likely fail.
3. If you stay within the specifications (even if you've increased margins through the use of bigger wheels, higher load range tires, lighter TMs or slower towing speeds), the tire will do what it darn well pleases.

-Paul