TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Default Loose white colored wire at the television antenna connection

We have the 3124KS model and had a problem with receiving cable television this week while camping. Our TM has the televison connection on one side of the extra three drawer chest of drawers/dresser located in the living room. We eventually took out the bottom drawer of this chest of drawers/dresser and noticed that one wire is unconnected. It is a white wire. We "think" the white wire goes to the 12volt hookup that is located there.

Does anyone know what this white wire actually goes to or does? Is there a problem if we do not connct it or reconnect it???

I have been searching the forums looking for an answer to what our problem in but have not found the answer.

If you have a suggestion we would love to hear it.

We seldom use the television but took it along since there was cable availabe. We eventually just ran the coaxil cable up into the camper and hooked it directly to the tv and it worked fine. But...we should not "need" to do this.

Thanks for your help in advance!

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
commodor47
Site Sponsor

I believe the white wire should be connected to the back of the power antenna wall plate. That plate is part of the powered antenna system. When using a campground TV cable connection make sure the power button on the wall plate is in the off position. The only time you need to turn the power button on is when using the Wineguard amplified roof antenna. Perhaps the attached thumbnails will be helpful. Let us know if this resolves the wall plate issue - the problem could also be in the coax cable between the wall plate and the outside cable connector.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna wall plate.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	5991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna wall plate back connections..JPG
Views:	85
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	5992  
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Thanks Commodor47! We will investigate further tomorrow and will post what we find. BTW...your pics are fantastic...should be BIG help!!!

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

Old 06-19-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
rotor_wash
Site Sponsor

Just replaced mine and for a polarity check, the directions say the green light will not come on if you hooked it up wrong. Pretty much foolproof. As a reminder to watch cable, the amplifier must be off.

2002 3124KS
2007 Tahoe
Solar
rotor_wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

I hope these pics turnout a clickable thumbnail size...if not I will redo them. The first pic is inside the chest of drawers showing the connection. I looked in there an thought YIKES I only have one black wire and should have at least two and would prefer three. So we opemed the outside vent for the upper part of the fridge.

There are two wires reduced to one wire and then the one wire becomes two wires again. I did not open the cover of the television connection cover plate at the king size bed.

I need to know what this means and plan to call the factory tomorrow. We bought the camper new...and it is long out of warranty.

Suggestions please!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2308.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	629.7 KB
ID:	6008  

Old 06-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Update of photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2309.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	426.3 KB
ID:	6009   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2308.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	629.7 KB
ID:	6010  

Old 06-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

The white wire is probably the 12VDC(-), but if the amplifier must be off to watch cable TV (I don't know as I've never used a TV in my TM), then it shouldn't matter if it's disconnected. That 12V outlet won't have power though.

I know you said you've taken the TV on trips before, but have you watched cable TV before without this problem? Those 2 coax splitters are a weird setup.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:06 PM   #8
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Your set up is different than ours. Our antenna wall plate is located along the side of the refrigerator cabinet, which makes running the black coax cable easy and short. And it is the only antenna wall plate in our unit. Does your wall plate, the one pictured in your thumbnail, look like the one pictured in the first thumbnail of my post #2? I suspect you will find the second antenna wall plate, the one near the bed probably has two black coax cables connected - and has the small, black on/off power button for turning on the amplified antenna head. I would remove the second antenna wall plate, take a few more photos and post them here.

A second question - do you have the exterior coax cable connector on the street side of your TM?

Dick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0427a (Custom).JPG
Views:	38
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	6012  
Albums
Old 06-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

We also very rarely watch tv in the TM. We have wanted to get the weather when we are in Missouri but were unable to with the antenna and the relatives where we go hunting have dish...but only for their living room. I think we have watched cable maybe twice in the living room and maybe we had tobring the coax cable up through the flap both times. LOL we just don't remember. We mostly dry camp at Traditional Archery tournaments, camp at the family farm for hunting and occassionally camp at camp grounds.

It looks like I should have two wires running in both directions but see one black wire in that area. I wonder if they forgot to finish it? I wonder if there is more back there behind the fridge.

In the pic posted by the Commodore the third position where the one black wire is in my camper...would be for the bedroom. Therefore I should not be able to have the antenna or cable work.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #10
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
The white wire is probably the 12VDC(-), but if the amplifier must be off to watch cable TV (I don't know as I've never used a TV in my TM), then it shouldn't matter if it's disconnected. That 12V outlet won't have power though.

I know you said you've taken the TV on trips before, but have you watched cable TV before without this problem? Those 2 coax splitters are a weird setup.

Dave
Dave,

I think the 12 volt socket is bridged to the coax cable and is used to supply power to the amplified antenna head. I agree, the signal splitters seems like an odd arrangement. I also wonder if there can be two amplified power switches in the same loop. I would think the antenna wall plate should have two coax cables connected - one from the powered antenna and a second from the street side exterior cable connector unless that is accomplished at the wall plate near the bed - which might explain the signal splitters?

Dick
Albums

Tags
tv reception