TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-13-2003, 08:39 PM   #1
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Default Anybody else caught that virus?

Have any of you caught that stupid msblaster worm?

I updated my Norton antivirus, ran the virus check, and was infected the next day. I had updated the Windows patch this last weekend but had to do a system restore because I tried to reinstall my HP photo printer software and it messed things up....and didn't redo the Windows update.

What a mess.

The Norton tool to remove didn't seem to help.

I managed to delete the msblaster.exe file, but am afraid to plug the other computer into the dsl line because every time I did it yesterday the stupid thing kept shutting down, and then I had like a minute to find and delete the msblaster.exe file again. I updated the Norton antivirus again and tried to run the Windows update on the dial up, but after running it for like 5 hours it finally said that the server wasn't responding from Microsoft. The dial up line doesn't seem to be as vulnerable as the DSL. With the DSL it seems like it's instant infection.

Am now running off the laptop that I usually don't use on the internet, on (sigh) dial up.....28k maximum speed.

When is this thing going to run its course?

> > >

What do you think of those losers that propagate these viruses & worms?

B_and_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 10:03 PM   #2
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Anybody else caught that virus?

[quote author=B_and_D link=board=18;threadid=1181;start=0#msg8177 date=1060828755]
What do you think of those losers that propagate these viruses & worms?
[/quote]

Having to deal with this stuff every day at work, I've often threatened that if I won the lottery I'd devote my time going after these guys. Pointless I know, but a worthy cause. The whole culture of people who do this reminds me of a bunch of grade school kids bragging about who's dad has the biggest P :-X .

Arghh! I'll stop here as I could rant on for days about spam, worms, viruses, 'sploits, etc.

Yes, the MS Windows update site has had a rush on it for updates, and the 16th will likely be worse when it's expected the infected computers will try to overwhelm the MS Update site with a Denial of Service attack (basically like having a million people all try to get on the freeway at the same time)

Kevin

kdrickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 10:18 PM   #3
Windbreaker

I'm out of the biz now but boy did I hear that!

You are right, they are mostly kids, what ever happened to parents controlling their children? If parents were held responsible for what their children did (as they use to be) most of this would stop along with the "tagging" (painting on other's property).
Old 08-14-2003, 03:57 PM   #4
Happytrails

Although I run a free firewall from Zonelabs.com called Zonealarm, I enabled the built in one that's in XP. I've had no problems at all with this bug. B&D, as this is a worm, and not a virus, it's not likely going to be found by a virus checker as it's programmed in a different way. Your best protection is to go to Zonelabs.com and download the free version of their firewall, it's very effective, and free to boot! One of these days I guess I'll break down and buy the full blown version, but their free version seems to work just fine if you're simply concerned with people trying to break into your computer, and not interested in going after them. I run a cable modem, and if my Zonealarm is activated, not even the cable company can tell when I'm online. They can ping me till they're blue in the face, and it's simply like my computer is turned off. (Oh, and I bet if ya ran this B&D, that blaster file won't be back). Anyway, hope this helps some of you guys!

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails........ [/glow]
Old 08-14-2003, 10:23 PM   #5
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

[quote author=Happytrails link=board=18;threadid=1181;start=0#msg8219 date=1060898237]
Your best protection is to go to Zonelabs.com and download the free version of their firewall, it's very effective, and free to boot!
[/quote]

ZoneAlarm -- 100% recommend. The free version is a bit harder to find on the website than it used to be, but is worth looking for.

If you want to test your system for basic vulnerabilities, I recommend www.grc.com. Go the the "ShieldsUp" section. It will run a basic "port scan" on your computer to see if anything on your computer is hanging neked out on the Internet.

For "spyware" (tracks where you visit on the Internet) -- AdAware from Lavasoft is also recommend; they have free version that finds it and cleans it up.

Kevin

kdrickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 10:52 PM   #6
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the recommendations.

I think we've immunized, but the desktop is still messed up. Am considering a full restore (but I would hire someone)!!

Still can't download ms updates on it, and the Norton antivirus keeps turning itself off (autoprotect).

Got up the courage to attach the laptop to the dsl line (on it now) updated the mcafee and ms windows patches, and all seems to be ok.

Just don't have all the programs on here that we need...

A dealer emailed us pictures of our "dream TM" tonight and the kids have to be back in school on Monday....it's a day's travel away and a day's travel back (pushing it).

AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!

Will I be driving tomorrow? To work? Or to PU the TM?

Old 08-15-2003, 10:59 AM   #7
Brightsu
Site Sponsor

Don't know if I caught a virus, but my grandson likes to play the games on the internet, I know it changes the configs. of the pc, so after he goes home I just go back a day or 2 and restore to when it was running better. Microsoft has a backup system that backs everything up on a daily bases. As far as e-mail my DSL filters them and they never hit the desk top. It gives me the person's name who sent the message and
I contact them to let them know it contained a virus.

Food For Thought: I hope everyone out there is careful not to open e-mail , especially with att. without at least scanning it first , even if its someone you know.

Pam
Brightsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 11:40 AM   #8
aldebnj

This worm is a bit different, it does not spread via e-mail. It can be spread via the Internet if your PC has not been patched. I was able to protect my office network by processing the MicroSoft patches 2 weeks ago when we first learned of the threat. We did have an infected lap top hook up on our network after that point and we were spared any trouble from it. Some other local (and big) companies were not so lucky.

Once again, this one does NOT need e-mail to spread. So, be careful out there and patch your Windows 2000 and XP PCs.

Al, Network Engineer
Old 08-15-2003, 03:31 PM   #9
Brightsu
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the info, I try to keep all updates. I appreciate any info. Sometimes I miss these.

Pam
Brightsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 09:45 PM   #10
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Finally, tonight, I was able to download all the critical updates from MS. Even with the dsl, it took over an hour.

I hope this does the trick.....

I think the trick was to download the XP express service pack first. I finally found something on the web that said the patch would work if you first downloaded that, so I tried it and IT WORKED!

If you don't have DSL it would probably take all day...