TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-25-2016, 11:50 AM   #1
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

Default Found small leak at abs

Found a small drip coming from the grey tank outlet right off the tank itself where the fitting is glued into the tank. So I found this video on youtube that actually worked and fixed the leak. I found this leak during my stay at Silver Strand where my neighbor told me of such . So happens it started on the last day or at least that is when he brought it to my attention and telling me you can not even drain your cooler water there. SO since i been home I searched and found the video, did the repair yesterday and tried it today no more leaks drips etc... now to put a second coat on. I had some ABS pipe so I used my cutoff tool and made some small really small pieces shavings as you will. mixed it up just as in the video and used window screen as in video as well.

here is the video

https://youtu.be/F1YW3_ENCCY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	abs  TM repair 002.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	689.0 KB
ID:	13324   Click image for larger version

Name:	abs  TM repair 001.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	643.5 KB
ID:	13325   Click image for larger version

Name:	abs  TM repair 004.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	819.4 KB
ID:	13326   Click image for larger version

Name:	abs  TM repair 006.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	792.4 KB
ID:	13327  

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:16 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Glad you were able to fix it easily. I hate pulling into a campground a finding out that valves/etc. are leaking. It's really embarrassing, plus you have to hassle with it on what's supposed to be a vacation!
Old 02-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
ssdpl1

I have a similar issue, however I have nothing to attach to. The existing 1 1/2" pipe was just pushed into the grey water tank with a silicone sealant. My thought was to bore out the opening and place this bushing in with a 1 1/2" pipe to attach a coupling to. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1135.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	14664   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1136.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	14665  
ssdpl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

ssdpl - Do a search on grey/gray water tank repairs, and you will come up with a host of threads discussing how to do this. I believe the tank is made of ABS, so can mix up some ABS paste with ABS cement and shavings from an ABS pipe to glue the tank to a new fitting.

You can also check out a new fitting like this:
http://www.dyersonline.com/ameri-kar...FU5ufgodpU8K4A

Check out the installation sheet on that website to get a better idea of how it works. I've never heard of them before and I don't know anything about them, but it may work also.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:28 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Dave -

Nice find. If anyone tries one of those grommet fittings from Dyers, PLEASE post the results here. This question of how to connect a drain pipe to the gray tank comes up repeatedly, and I don't think we have found a universal solution. The "ABS goop" approach sometimes works, but sometimes not. I know that in my trailer, the goop has held for about 3 years, but has now begun to crack and peel.

Regarding the grommet device, my immediate questions are these.

1. The ad for the part says it lets you attach a pipe to a polyethylene waste tank. Like you, Dave, I think our tanks are ABS, not polyethylene. But since the grommet part is apparently not installed with glue, I'm not sure that would make a difference.
2. Once the grommet is pushed into the tank, how hard is it to remove? Should the outlet pipe be braced or secured in some way to avoid pulling the grommet out?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:04 PM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Regarding the grommet device, my immediate questions are these.

1. The ad for the part says it lets you attach a pipe to a polyethylene waste tank. Like you, Dave, I think our tanks are ABS, not polyethylene. But since the grommet part is apparently not installed with glue, I'm not sure that would make a difference.
2. Once the grommet is pushed into the tank, how hard is it to remove? Should the outlet pipe be braced or secured in some way to avoid pulling the grommet out?

Bill
1) Yes, I saw that too, but you'll notice the manufacturer provided installation instructions make no such notation. The manufacturer, Ameri-Kart, appears to make 3 different sizes for 1.5", 2", and 3" size tank holes, referred to simply by item number 426, 427, and 428, respectively. It is not immediately clear to me if the output size to which the pipe connects is the same or different.

But in each of the descriptions for each of these grommets, as to tank suitability, it simply says, "Use with rotational molded or vacuum formed tanks". You can find them here along with numerous other types of RV tank fittings: http://www.ameri-kart.com/RV-Product...tby=PartNumber

2) Those are great questions to which I do not know the answers, but I imagine there is probably a risk of breaking/cracking the tank if you try to just pull it out. Cutting it out with a Dremel type tool is probably less risky since it would apply no force on the tank.

It would be worth a call to Ameri-Kart to clarify all these questions.

Dave
Old 02-08-2017, 05:36 PM   #7
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Instead of modifying the tank, what if you used a step-down coupler? Still use whatever compound is necessary, but at least you wouldn't be enlarging your hole, with no roll-back recourse if it doesn't work.

Just a thought.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:07 AM   #8
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToCamp View Post
Instead of modifying the tank, what if you used a step-down coupler? Still use whatever compound is necessary, but at least you wouldn't be enlarging your hole, with no roll-back recourse if it doesn't work.

Just a thought.
How would you secure it in the tank hole and/or prevent it from leaking around the coupler? The problem is not that the pipe broke, the problem is that the pipe pulled completely out of the tank, so there's nothing to mount anything to other than a hole to which there is no access on the other side (so you can't use a flange nut).

Dave
Old 02-09-2017, 03:22 PM   #9
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

I was figuring to use compound buildup, as craigrr shows in the original post in this thread.

To add stability, one could also put threaded bolts through the tank, with a nut on either side of the tank (inside would get a lock-washer). This would keep the bolts from pulling out, and would give much more support to the goop. There is easy access to the inside of the tank, near the opening, so it should be a cinch.

For that matter, you could use 2" bolts, assemble as in previous paragraph, then put a hose clamp around the bolts, holding them tight to the connector. Smear all with goop, and it seems like it should be rock-solid.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:28 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I admit that I am a bit nervous about using an unsecured grommet, and even more nervous about drilling bolt holes near the main opening. What is needed is a device called a blind bulkhead fitting or a blind tank attachment. A Google search will bring up several examples. They are not very handy to use, but I think they are safe.

The thing that requires some thought and some caution is that the edge of the opening is very near the curved edge of the tank, and any connection device is going to have to cope with that curve. Not saying it can't be done, but it must be considered.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote