TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2019, 08:39 AM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincoTM View Post
This spring, I traded a rifle for a not-too-bad 1988 Coleman Sequoia popup. My wife was instantly on board with the idea of camping, but she and I both got very rapidly frustrated with the Coleman because it turned out not to have a title with it....And we still have the little Coleman to sell!
Vinco -

You may be aware that many states do not (and will not) issue a title for a trailer. Some states have weight specifications (in Maine, no title for a trailer under 3000 pounds). Arkansas apparently issues no title at all for a trailer.

If this is the case in your state, lack of title should not be a problem when you sell a trailer. Just direct your buyer to the proper place on your state's DMV web site.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:11 PM   #12
vincoTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Vinco -

You may be aware that many states do not (and will not) issue a title for a trailer. Some states have weight specifications (in Maine, no title for a trailer under 3000 pounds). Arkansas apparently issues no title at all for a trailer.

If this is the case in your state, lack of title should not be a problem when you sell a trailer. Just direct your buyer to the proper place on your state's DMV web site.

Bill
Arkansas actually does require a title for anything that rolls on the road to get licensed. They do not require a title for boats, but they do for the trailers.
vincoTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:17 PM   #13
Bill
Site Team

I was working from this statement I found online with a quick search. Admittedly, it was in a discussion group not necessarily populated with experts. I can't find a source at Arkansas DMV to back this up, but Maine DMV does make a clear statement about trailers below 3000 pounds, and I think Texas says the same thing, but at 4000 pounds. Of course, a title is not the same thing as a registration.

Quote:
Titles are required only for motors and motorized vehicles in Arkansas.....Trailers are required to be registered but not titled. If you buy a boat motor and trailer, the only thing titled is the motor, the boat and trailer is registered but not required to have a title.
Bill
Old 06-12-2019, 09:19 PM   #14
Texastrailerguy

Bill, Trailers in Texas fall under different rules. Factory built trailers are required to have titles no matter how much they weigh or can haul. Titles can be factory(clean),rebuilt or bonded. Shop made trailers only need be registered. Now if your trailer weight plus load limit is over a certain amount you will have to have it inspected as well, does not matter if factory made or shop built. Weight limit used to be 5000lbs, I think it was moved down to 4500lbs. I could be wrong on that one.
Texastrailerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:48 PM   #15
Bill
Site Team

I don't know - I keep running into things like this, from the Texas DMV web site at
https://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/other-t...f-vehicles.php

Quote:
Trailer Registration in Texas
All non-farm trailers operating on public roads
require registration, but only certain ones require titling The exact requirements vary by trailer type and weight. This includes a homemade trailer.

Manufactured Trailers
Trailers heavier than 4,000 lbs. (gross weight) must be titled.
To get a title, visit your county tax office with:
Proof of ownership (Manufacturer Certificate of Origin, title, Bill of Sale). A completed Application for Texas Certificate of Title (form 130-U). Payment for registration fees.
So I read that as saying that manufactured trailers that weigh less than 4000 pounds do not need to be titled. They may be titled, but they are not required to be.

Remember, "registered" is not the same as "titled".

Maine's weight limit for a title is 3000 pounds. They use the weight that is advertised by the manufacturer, rather than the actual weight on a scale. Since a 2720SL is advertised as "dry weight 2875", that is what they use. And they won't give you a title even if they want one (I know - I tried).

Bill
Old 06-13-2019, 09:01 PM   #16
Texastrailerguy

Bill, I stand corrected. Here is additional info for Texas. Annual inspections have to be on 7500+ lbs on gvwr. Not the lower amount as I had thought. Does not matter, I don't buy without a title. You never know if/when/where you might want to sell it and I am sure some places require a title.
Not only that, right now in my area cars/trucks are being sold without titles. Most are from out of state and I just have to wonder how many are still in hock at the bank. When the seller says I lost the title, but you can file for a lost title. The word is be careful when buying. Sorry got a little off track.
Texastrailerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:52 PM   #17
vincoTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I was working from this statement I found online with a quick search. Admittedly, it was in a discussion group not necessarily populated with experts. I can't find a source at Arkansas DMV to back this up, but Maine DMV does make a clear statement about trailers below 3000 pounds, and I think Texas says the same thing, but at 4000 pounds. Of course, a title is not the same thing as a registration.

Bill
I live in Arkansas.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:07 PM   #18
vincoTM

Default Pretty epic trip for a shakedown cruise!

So we had owned our 3023 for two whole weeks before we took off on a little trip to the Grand Canyon! First night when we left Arkansas was at the Palo Duro Ziplines RV Park, in Canyon, Texas. Great little campground, and setup was no problem. Second day, we set our sights on Gallup, New Mexico. A cruel Google reroute which shoved us off onto "Old Route 66" west of Albequerque shook rattled and rolled our poor trailer almost to death, and it spelled the end of our refrigerator as well as breaking the toilet lid hinge, together with one of the lights in one of the roof hatches. We had to live out of ice chests after that, and the ammonia was awful that night. The park in Gallup was nice, though. We continued west from there, pulling the TM through Petrified Forest National Park and had to go stand on the corner in Winslow, Arizona (such a fine sight to see!) We managed to pre-reserve one night in Trailer Village at the Soutn Rim of the Grand Canyon, and we enjoyed that stay immensely. There were 2 cow elk that walked right by our campsite the next morning. The next night, we got a spot at Camper Village, outside the Park, and that was OK too. Next day, we pulled our TM through the Park, east up 64, and went around the east end of the Canyon, crossing over at Navajo Bridge on our way to stay at Jacob Lake for 2 nights. After Jacob Lake, we moved the trailer down to Kanab, Utah, at the RV Corral (Good Sam), while we spent the day at Zion NP. After spending the night in Kanab, we struck out for home. We ended up that night in Las Vegas, NM, at a cheap hotel, just because we were too late trying to reserve an RV park. In retrospect, we could have boondocked at Wal Mart there that night. bu oh well. Next day was 663 miles to the KOA at Sallisaw, Oklahoma, which was a totally awesome campground! Finally we made it home about mid-afternoon the following day. 3,351 miles and a whole bunch of loose screws that now need to be fixed! (oh, and the refrigerator and lights.)
Old 08-09-2019, 07:55 AM   #19
Camping Carpenters
Site Sponsor

Any light fabric one will work, and check out some of the bathroom modifications for storage, there is a great one using a mesh pocketed shower crtain you velcro to the foldong wall witch works great for storage! Safe travels, ENJOY
Old 08-09-2019, 06:46 PM   #20
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Either use a marine grade velcro, or find a way to clamp the curtain to the bathroom wall. I did the shower curtain mod and the idea is great. Walmat velcro lasts less than a year before the glue softens and soesnt hold

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote