TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-03-2011, 12:12 AM   #1
coralcrazed
BannedUsers

Default please help! head is spinning. new to towing & the more I read the more unsure i am

I have been reading as many threads as I can here on the forum and I apologize now if I am posting a duplicate thread but feel that safety can not be compramised so I hope that the mods can understand my concern. My head is spinning after reading so many threads on the subject that at this oint I'm not sure what pertains to my situation or not.

ok so we recently purchased a used 2005 2720 TM. wifes 20 year dream finaly is reality. we couldn't be happier but wait... can we safely trail it or is it going to remain parked. Uhaul installed my hitch and break controler and told me I would have no problem. but, you know... anyway, towed the TM on a 7 hour ride and only noticed that the TV was very low to the ground. but got it home safe. So now I want to be sure I'm good to go and not just rely on the good people at u-haul

ok now for the basic info:

TV: 2006 toyota sienna mini van (gwvr = 5690 lbs and GWAR = frt. 2845lbs. and rr. 2845 lbs with towing capacity at 3500 lbs.) tires are michelin 215 65 r16. there will be 4 passengers in the car with some camping gear/clothes ect. (total weight approx. 750 lbs.)

hitch: TM came with a WDH similar to this one http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/...-Hitch?mid=320 which connects to u-haul class III 2" ball hitch with the following ratings with WDH, since I'm using one, max. gross trailer weight = 5000 and max. tongue weight 500 (lbs)

Trailer: 2005 trailmanor model 2720 with 12 v battery and two propane tanks. I have not gotten the TM weighed yet but intend on getting the gross weight and the tongue weight once it is fully loaded for the trip.

break controler: journey hd #52740 electronic break control

The Toyota minivan has always been low to the ground but when TM is attached its at least 2-3" lower so I was thinking to get this installed for better drivability and safety... i'm thinking something like this model which is one reccomended for the TV http://www.assuredautomotiveproducts...9.qscstrfrnt06

I will also be taking some pictures when the trailer is hitched for further review and suggestion. for now I'm looking to get comments and suggestions if what I'm trying to tow is doable and safe. If not what can I do to improve it? getting another TV is not an option at this time however I am willing to put better breaks and upgrade suspention ect. I'm looking to get all ideas and suggestions for anyone willing to share it here. thanks in advance for all info.
coralcrazed is offline   Reply With Quote