TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-19-2002, 10:54 AM   #1
2619PDX

Default Suburban heater odor

I have a 2001 model 2619 that until this summer resided in Bisbee AZ. i don't think the heater has ever been run.

It is now in it's new home in Portland, Oregon.

Last night I decided to test the heater to make sure it works properly. I turned on the gas, flipped the switch to on, and set the heat to about 75.

The heater works great. However, it set off the smoke alarm, and I noticed the smell of burned paint on metal to be very strong.

I had to open the windows and roof vents, and turn on the power vent to help clear the smell. Got a headache from it, it was so strong.

Question for other owners -- is this normal for a first use? If so, when does it go away?

Should I run the heater with vents and windows open so smell goes away?

Had this experience once before in my old condo with the natural gas fire place. We quit using it after a while...

Anybody else have this experience?

Thanks! :-[

Gregg
Old 11-19-2002, 02:32 PM   #2
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Re: Suburban heater odor

Gregg,

I think the smell and associated nuisances are common when firing-up the heater for the first time. MY first trip with my new TM was in March, starting from Wisconsin, overnighting in southern Illinois; temps to just below freezing.

Before traveling, I operated every appliance, at which time I experienced the same heater "burn-in" effect as you described. After shutting-down, and later recycling a couple of times, the odor abated. I'm willing to bet that (almost) everyone on this board who purchased their TM "new" had a similar experience with the first light-off.

It works jus' fine now  8)  .

Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 03:35 AM   #3
2619PDX

Thanks! That's a relief! Appreciate it!

Gregg
Old 11-20-2002, 01:29 PM   #4
Carol
Site Sponsor

Our dealer (in Coloma, WI) ran the furnace as part of the new dealer prep to get rid of the initial odor.  New buyers should ask for this service. We were novices and didn't realize that we were getting such a nice service.  

That said, I really don't care for the smell of any of the gas appliances when they are running, including the furnace, stove and hot water heater.  There seems to be a  gas smell that will always be there,  if you are sensitive to those things, as I am. We have an all electric home, so only have to deal with it camping. Too bad they didn't have the gas/electric hot water heater on the model we purchased.

When cold weather camping without hookups we used the furnace sparingly as it  is noisy and a huge comsumer of battery power.  We use an electric heater when we have hookups.

My recommendation is to set up the TM in your driveway and run the furnace for a few hours  a day or so before  your first trip.  Make sure there is adequate ventilation to remove the odor or air it out well afterwards.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 01:35 AM   #5
arknoah

Carol,

I was going to comment that we got only a little bit of the smell, and that it would abate over time.  I didn't realize until your poisting that we received the same service when we did our walk through.  It's really good advice to ensure that during a walk through, all the appliances are turned on enough to start getting that smell out of there!
Old 11-21-2002, 03:43 AM   #6
2619PDX

Thanks! Guys. That's my current plan. To run the heater with the windows open and the vent on - door open, to get rid of the smell!

Appreciate it!